Thread: Drill Press Dust collection

Drill Press Dust collection

One of the things I wanted to tackle as part of my new DC piping was a better device for holding a 2.5" hose and fitting near where I'm drilling. I wanted to share what I came up with because it ended up being fairly inexpensive and will work with both a permanent DC installation or a shop vac with 2.5" hose fitting.
    I purchased this from Amazon: Universal Flexible Magnetic Metal Base Holder Stand; and then picked up one of these hose clamps at the local Tractor Supply: T Bolt Clamp, 2 in.

DSC03238.jpg DSC03237.jpg DSC03234.jpg DSC03241.jpg DSC03242.jpg DSC03240.jpg

The magnetic clamp is very nice. All metal construction and easy to reconfigure with the flip of the lever. I'm still looking for a better solution for the dust hood than clamping to the DP table. I'd like to be able to angle it so maybe a mic stand might work. I also have another idea for building a custom holder but I need to draw it out first. I'll need to get someone to weld it up if I decide to go that route.

That's a good solution. I have the flexible dial indicator holder, but I never thought of using it like that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    I'm still looking for a better solution for the dust hood than clamping to the DP table.
    You could mount your dust hood on a piece of 1/4" plywood base using you t-slots and clamp it to a vertical block attached to the plywood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice job. I like how you have both hose size options. The drill press has been one of my most challenging tools to collect debris from, especially when using forstner bits.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-05-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    I'm still looking for a better solution
    I have found the "stay put" hose to allow me to position up-close collection without additional add-ons like the goose neck.

c-Funny-Pipe-3.jpg . d-Funny-Pipe-4.jpg . DP-DC xtra-use.jpg

A split-fence will allow you to drill closer to the fence and to collect from the surface of thinner (up to a couple of inches) stock from behind the fence leaving your work area clear.

DPT x-brace 006.jpg . DPT x-brace 002.jpg

This is really only a big benefit when doing detail work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't think there is any clean or easy way to deal with this problem. My last attempt was a bracket from Rockler, that is screwed in to a piece of universal T-track, that is held in the mitre slot on my bandsaw next to my press by some rare earth magnets. I can even see dust particles flowing in to it sometimes.

I have already designed my next system. It's a nozzle connected to my shopvac hose that I operate manually wearing a dust mask, after I'm done drilling. That and my cleanup brush and dustpan. But, I will follow your progress with considerable interest.

One of the things I wanted to tackle as part of my new DC piping was a better device for holding a 2.5" hose and fitting near where I'm drilling. I wanted to share what I came up with because it ended up being fairly inexpensive and will work with both a perma I'm still looking for a better solution for the dust hood than clamping to the DP table. I'd like to be able to angle it so maybe a mic stand might work. I also have another idea for building a custom holder but I need to draw it out first. I'll need to get someone to weld it up if I decide to go that route.
    Just to add, you know about these, right?: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...th-floor-stand

I have one, and it works well, it's easily positioned where you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Just to add, you know about these, right?: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...th-floor-stand

I have one, and it works well, it's easily positioned where you want it.
    That's a really nice stand. It would work, but I would put the smaller hood I have on it. That 12x16 hood is huge. What I really had in mind is a movable arm that would go between the table arm and the stock table that would allow me to mount the smaller hood which is on a magnet. That way it would move up and down with the table. It would have to be custom made though and if that cost more than the $109.00 then I probably will go with the WoodRiver Floor Stand.

DC Arm.jpg

How powerful is that magnet .would love to make something for the Mortiser.great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jim sauterer View Post
    How powerful is that magnet .would love to make something for the Mortiser.great idea.
    The magnet is very powerful. The adjustable Arm could be stronger but it is strong enough for my purposes.

That's a very nice design. I'll be honest, it seems so challenging to me to collect stuff from the drill press I'm going with the floor based solution, followed by broom.

Serious question: does a drill press create fine dust? Seems like it would mostly be chips. As such I think I'd just add a vacuum hose near the table and clean up afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    That's a very nice design. I'll be honest, it seems so challenging to me to collect stuff from the drill press I'm going with the floor based solution, followed by broom.

Serious question: does a drill press create fine dust? Seems like it would mostly be chips. As such I think I'd just add a vacuum hose near the table and clean up afterwards.
    Fine dust not so much.
    The problem with the chips on repetitive drilling is they get in the way and under the spot where your next piece goes. Sucking the bits as you drill makes you more productive than stopping to vacuum after every hole or two. For a few bucks for a magnetic arm and a hose clamp you can position your vacuum to clean up as you drill. A third hand so to speak.

Fine dust not so much.
    The problem with the chips on repetitive drilling is they get in the way and under the spot where your next piece goes. Sucking the bits as you drill makes you more productive than stopping to vacuum after every hole or two. For a few bucks for a magnetic arm and a hose clamp you can position your vacuum to clean up as you drill. A third hand so to speak.
    Interesting. I agree with you about the chips being annoying, I didn't realize it was possible to get close enough to get them taken off without it being awkward. Now I'm going to have to look into this. Might try this approach.

Blog Entries
    That's a really nice setup you have there Tom! Nicely done

In my case, I reduced from 6" duct to 4" flex near to my drill press. I added a coupling at the end of the flex just to create a bit of "weight"... I find I can just use gravity to hold this near enough to where I'm working in most cases, and in the other cases, I just leave it sit on the back of the DP table so I can quickly grab it to vacuum stray chips away. But I may try that holder now that I've seen such a thing exists.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)