Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laguna Revo 1216 Lathe problems

The G3 requires "pen jaws" to hold material smaller than 1". Our primary material right now is acrylic and we drill on the lathe along with using the woodpeckers ultra sheer mill for squaring the blanks. The process requires the blank to be removed and flipped multiple times, which is why I think I've been having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Montroy View Post
    The G3 requires "pen jaws" to hold material smaller than 1". Our primary material right now is acrylic and we drill on the lathe along with using the woodpeckers ultra sheer mill for squaring the blanks. The process requires the blank to be removed and flipped multiple times, which is why I think I've been having issues.
    I don't understand that process, but maybe it doesn't matter. Are there online instructions somewhere that explains the steps of the process? Having to rely on perfect concentricity of any jaws when working with wood blanks seems problematical to me. If I need perfect concentricity I use another method.

But I am curious, do you have to flip multiple times to drill, to mill the end square, or both? As mentioned, I drill with a drill press holding the blank with a pen vise, glue in the tubes, mount the pen mill in a jacob's chuck on the lathe, and mill the ends square holding the square blanks by hand. Actually, I hold them with an adjustable wrench to keep them from spinning and apply pressure with my hand to push into the spinning mill (with the hand safely away from the cutting edges!)

I have most of Nova's jaws but not the pen jaws. It looks like you are supposed to hold the square blank by the flats adjacent to two corners. How does this work if the blank is not perfectly square? For small square and mostly pieces, I generally use the pin jaws and hold the blank by four sides. If a blank is not perfectly square the jaws bite into the wood, compressing it slightly for a secure hold.

JKJ