Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veneer vs... wood

Blog Entries

Veneer vs... wood

Hi,

I'm not sure how to ask this, so maybe it won't come across very well. I'm designing an heirloom quality TV console type entertainment center (the low squat / long rectangular type). I'm designing the doors and sides to be 1" because I think it would be a rad design (vs the std 3/4").

My question is to veneer or not to veneer. I don't think I see any huge growth problems if I keep the joinery correct (basically Euro style cabinetry with inset doors... ie just a simple carcass with inset doors using Soss hinges for the doors). I'd rather use 'real wood' than veneer, but maybe that's because my experience limits me to think this way? Is there any reason to choose veneer over the lumber? I like the veneer idea ONLY because I can make the interior of the piece different than the exterior, which would be fun.

As a side note, I'm trying to move more towards furniture designer vs builder, so I'd need to find vendors for the majority of the work (including veneering).

The advantage of veneer is that you can do some very interesting designs on the panels that you can't do with solid wood. It's all a design choice.

Working with veneer is not difficult but does have a learning curve and you need some special equipment for pressing the veneer. Best is a vacuum pump and a vacuum bag.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I build doors with 1-1 1/16" doors and movement is no different than with 3/4". Dave

What type of veneer are we talking about? Commercially available paper thin sheets or shop made ⅛" thick type stuff. How would you be gluing up your panels? Contact cement with paper backed veneer isn't going to add up to heirloom quality. "Solid" veneer provides the look and durability of solid wood without the drawbacks. It can also be a more economical use of unique or limited materials.

From a design and aesthetics standpoint, veneer gives you the most flexibility and variety for your project and will also help with cost containment over all solid stock, depending on the species, figure, etc. There is NOTHING wrong with using veneer in any project where it will benefit said project...outside of, perhaps, some period pieces that are trying to represent true and authentic construction methods. For a cabinet like you describe, veneering quality sheet goods will also make for a very strong casework. Go for it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    If the doors were solid lumber and the case was veneer, would it be noticeable? I guess it would take some good color matching. I want to use walnut and I know there can be purples, etc in some cuts that aren't in others. I think most veneer people use sheets from the same tree.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Hi,

I'm not sure how to ask this, so maybe it won't come across very well. I'm designing an heirloom quality TV console type entertainment center (the low squat / long rectangular type). I'm designing the doors and sides to be 1" because I think it would be a rad design (vs the std 3/4").

My question is to veneer or not to veneer. I don't think I see any huge growth problems if I keep the joinery correct (basically Euro style cabinetry with inset doors... ie just a simple carcass with inset doors using Soss hinges for the doors). I'd rather use 'real wood' than veneer, but maybe that's because my experience limits me to think this way? Is there any reason to choose veneer over the lumber? I like the veneer idea ONLY because I can make the interior of the piece different than the exterior, which would be fun.

As a side note, I'm trying to move more towards furniture designer vs builder, so I'd need to find vendors for the majority of the work (including veneering).
    Andrew, my take is that it comes down to the design and joinery.

A simple "box" connected with butt joints will work as well with both materials, but I think that ply/MDF-veneer is traditional for this since mechanical joinery (biscuits, dominoes, dowels) is the go. If you planned to use dovetails of some form (through-, half-blind, or full blind/mitred) - not just for strength, but for aesthetics - then obviously it would be necessary to use solid wood.

Further, by "heirloom quality", I take you to mean a piece that could last a few generations. The simple fact is, however, that there is no TV console that will last more than 5 or 6 years since TV design (type and size) are in constant transition. We upgraded 3 years ago to a 55cm OLED - then SOTA - and already it is becoming dated.

I build exclusively in solid woods, excluding laminations for curves. The reason is that I find that veneered work ends up "clinical" and lacking warmth. I like to finish with hand tools, and even when I sand, there are slight undulations that soften the presentation. I build curves into work for this reason. While my pieces are generally my own designs, the recreations I have built of pieces made originally in veneered ply/MDF, and recreated now in solid wood, have quite a different feel to them.

Here is an example. The first is a photo of a piece requested to be built ...

Here is the piece I built ...

I would also argue for hinges used traditionally, such as butt hinges, rather than Euro hinges or their variations. This is my personal bias since I associate the latter with kitchens and not fine furniture.

Regards from Berlin

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-04-2020 at 8:13 AM.

Another thing to think about is conservation. The amount of wood in a 4/4 board would make 50 leaves of veneer.Many highly figured and or exotic woods are much more readily and economically available in veneer rather than solid.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    If the doors were solid lumber and the case was veneer, would it be noticeable? I guess it would take some good color matching. I want to use walnut and I know there can be purples, etc in some cuts that aren't in others. I think most veneer people use sheets from the same tree.
    That's part of the craftsmanship here...careful color and grain matching. You mention walnut...air dried and non-steamed KD walnut will have more color variations than steamed KD walnut. Your finishing schedule will also determine if there will be contrast or not between veneers and solid stock. Lots of variables here!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are some "looks" that are done with veneer, such as starbursts and multiple piece book and slip matches. Some highly figured grain patterns often are labelled unstable as solid boards, for example crotch figure, (my understanding is seasonal movement is more pronounced), but quite stable as veneer appropriately glued to a stable core. There are many woods available as veneer at Certainly Woods that I cannot purchase as lumber here in Cincinnati. But I would not want to try to veneer a raised panel. But an exposed edge of a veneered baltic birch plywood or MDF panel would not be very attractive.

My two cents there are many places to use veneer, many to use solid wood, and many places to use a combination.

I've done a fair amount of small sized veneering. Something like a door would make me nervous. Veneer works best when it doesn't have hard contact with reality. Doors get slammed, kicked, bumped, scratched at by the dog. Even if the adhesive survives the surface layer is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stephan View Post
    There are some "looks" that are done with veneer, such as starbursts and multiple piece book and slip matches. Some highly figured grain patterns often are labelled unstable as solid boards, for example crotch figure, (my understanding is seasonal movement is more pronounced), but quite stable as veneer appropriately glued to a stable core. There are many woods available as veneer at Certainly Woods that I cannot purchase as lumber here in Cincinnati. But I would not want to try to veneer a raised panel. But an exposed edge of a veneered baltic birch plywood or MDF panel would not be very attractive.

My two cents there are many places to use veneer, many to use solid wood, and many places to use a combination.
    When using plywood, such as Baltic birch, you have to prepare the substrate first. What I do is put solid wood all around the plywood - I use the same wood as the veneer (or a matching wood). Get the panel flat (make the solid wood edging flat to the plywood) then veneer.

Here's an end table I did that has cheap wood for the substrate and mahogany edging applied before I put the veneer on. Same concept for plywood.

CornerCabinet01.jpg CornerCabinet03.jpg CornerCabinet02.jpg

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-04-2020 at 11:12 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Andrew, my take is that it comes down to the design and joinery.

A simple "box" connected with butt joints will work as well with both materials, but I think that ply/MDF-veneer is traditional for this since mechanical joinery (biscuits, dominoes, dowels) is the go. If you planned to use dovetails of some form (through-, half-blind, or full blind/mitred) - not just for strength, but for aesthetics - then obviously it would be necessary to use solid wood.

Further, by "heirloom quality", I take you to mean a piece that could last a few generations. The simple fact is, however, that there is no TV console that will last more than 5 or 6 years since TV design (type and size) are in constant transition. We upgraded 3 years ago to a 55cm OLED - then SOTA - and already it is becoming dated.

I build exclusively in solid woods, excluding laminations for curves. The reason is that I find that veneered work ends up "clinical" and lacking warmth. I like to finish with hand tools, and even when I sand, there are slight undulations that soften the presentation. I build curves into work for this reason. While my pieces are generally my own designs, the recreations I have built of pieces made originally in veneered ply/MDF, and recreated now in solid wood, have quite a different feel to them.

Here is an example. The first is a photo of a piece requested to be built ...

Here is the piece I built ...

I would also argue for hinges used traditionally, such as butt hinges, rather than Euro hinges or their variations. This is my personal bias since I associate the latter with kitchens and not fine furniture.

Regards from Berlin

Derek
    That waterfall made my heart skip a beat.

Mike, I browsed through your website and watched a couple of your videos. You do beautiful work.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, all good comments. I'm giving it some noodling.