Thread: Fun Christams Present for Friend

Fun Christams Present for Friend

I thought I would share a Coat of Arms I made for a friend for Christmas. The coat of Arms is 19"x28" and the depth of the relief is around 1.75". They were very pleased. I wish I had more time for the finishing, but it turned out pretty good for a 1.5d finish time.

Biegel_COA_SM.jpgBiegel_COA_ROUGH_SM.jpg

That's really beautiful, Brad!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job. Where did you get the 3D file? Did you create it?
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Beautiful work Brad. The finish looks great!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That is very clean and professional looking, Brad. Great job! And I agree on the finish - looks good.

Is the black done in paint, dye, ink, etc.?

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Thanks guys.

I did not have time to create the model, so I hired someone to do that part. It took him a day or two, so I am glad I did not try that part. I had the artist send a signed letter and I gave him credit for the modelling on the back of the carving.

I had so little time for finishing so I was stuck using water based products I had from another project. I had a few General RTM colors on the shelf, reducer, dark brown, and light brown. I mixed up a few different colors and applied a few coats on different parts. To achieve the dark letter colors I used the dark brown straight from the can. After all the colors were applied I sprayed the carving with a few coats of polyurethane. Trying to spray this proved to be a bit difficult due to the depth of relief. I would have much preferred to use a slower drying finish product that could have been brushed on, but alas, someones time planning did not permit. The final coat was applied a few hours before I dropped it off.

It was a lot of fun.