Thread: Need help with choosing Jumbo Jaws

Need help with choosing Jumbo Jaws

As mentioned in a previous post, I'm getting a new Oneway 1640 lathe, along with a Talon and Stronghold chuck. I think a set of Jumbo Jaws are in order, and I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me decide which model would be best. From what I can tell, the Mega Jumbo Jaws for the Stronghold offer the largest holding capacity as well as the smallest -- they have the greatest range overall. While it seems like a no brainer that these are the ones to choose, I may be overlooking something. I mostly like to turn smaller sized bowls. Say, bowls 2 1/2"- 5" in diameter. Does anyone know whether the Mega Jumbo Jaws would be inconvenient to use with such small bowls? I don't necessarily want to own two different sets of Jumbo Jaws, but it might be preferable if you feel the Megas will be hassle on small turnings.

Also, feel free to chime in with alternate brand suggestions. I've looked at the Modern Longworth type, but don't know much about others. Which would you choose if you were me?

Thanks again for helping. You thoughts are all much appreciated!

I gotta start of by saying I'm no expert only a longtime Oneway 1640 lathe owner and spinner of wood but from my experience you do not need the Jumbo Jaws for the small work you are turning. I have a set and only use them on the odd occasion I am turning something larger than normal. For me I benefited but a set of the Spigot jaws, I have the serrated. When I turn hollow forms (most often green) I wind up turning a small tenon to minimize thickness and incase I want to return the piece for sanding or colouring.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I have a set of the Mega Jumbo Stronghold jaws that I've used on my Jet 1642. As far as manufacturing and quality, those jaws are well made like everything Oneway does. I don't have extensive experience with mine however they are pretty light duty and I have only used them for light / finishing cuts on larger platters and bowls. They are very versatile, however I find them to be a little intimidating when spinning when opened to around 14". Also, the rubber grips have limited holding capability. Recently here, another post showed using duct tape in addition to the standard grips, especially for internal chucking on thinner walls to help avoid blowing or splitting the piece being turned.

I have never turned anything smaller than about 5-6 inches even though it is capable. I just prefer to find another, smaller diameter way to hold smaller pieces. While for my uses those large jaws provide for a nice option, I find myself using a shop built vacuum chuck more often than the jumbo jaws. It will really depend on what type of turnings you typically do.

Mega Jumbo Jaws Stronghold on 16 in Lathe.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-07-2020 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added Pic
    Dick Mahany.

imho. your money would be better spent on a vacuum setup of some kind. owned a set years ago never used em.

I’ll second (or maybe third?) the suggestion that a vacuum system is far more useful than a set of cole jaws - mega or jumbo. There’s a set of both in the bottom of a drawer around here somewhere...they haven’t been pulled out in years. With a little homework, ingenuity and research you can set up a vac system for the same cost or less than the cost of both jaw sets.

I did just have a flashback to the last time I pulled out the mega jumbo jaws - they were used like a large faceplate for a seriously off balance multi-axis piece. Worked very well for that - bolted on a 24” chunk of ply to screw counterweights to...

I use them all the time on my Vicmarc chuck. I use them to hold the rim of a bowl or box so I can finish off the bottom. A vac chuck would probably work too but since I just trued up the rim of the bowl once it's reversed it's very easy to center it. I got the largest set. The only thing about them I don't like is when they are spinning they are making quite a bit of wind noise. The noise isn't bad but it does make you respect them. I've never tried to turn anything close to them. Like anything each person will decide if they like them or not. If you have a club or something where you can use a set it might be worthwhile.