Thread: New Laser for a Makerspace - Recommendations

New Laser for a Makerspace - Recommendations

I work at a local makerspace (shared workshop) and we are in the market for a new laser. We have had a few different lasers over the years with their pros and cons. We have *roughly* $15k to spend on a new machine. I wanted to try and get a little feedback on some of the options we are looking at to find the best balance of power, speed, work area, and service/support options. Since it is a shared machine quality tech support and affordable servicing are a big thing to us. We've been spoiled by fast engraving machines in the past so looking for something reasonably quick. We are in Columbus, OH so the nearest company would be Rabbit.

Past Machines:

Desktop Epilog - Worked great but was small so we got rid of it to upgrade.

Trotec Speedy 400 - Extremely fast and had several useful features. We ended up with a lemon of a machine that kept burning up the tube frequently and Trotec support was never able / willing to find the underlying problem, just had us keep replacing tubes. Recently gave up on the machine and sold it to a production shop that plans to use it as a parts / backup machine.

Full Spectrum - Older model that was extremely slow. Couple parts failed so we had it refurbished by Rabbit since they are semi-local.

Rabbit Laser (FSL refurb) - Works pretty well for what it is. We were able to tweak a few things to get a bit more speed out of it than the stock FSL components. Currently using RDWorks V8 for software.

Potential Machines:

Boss - We would either go with a 150W 36"x24" machine or a 100W 55"x36" machine. We spoken to several small shops that love their machines. It would include Lightburn. The biggest con is that some people we have spoke to received fairly high quotes for onsite tech support. Would also be a bit more expensive because of shipping.

Rabbit - Would probably be stuck with a 80W or 100W tube with a 47"x35" bed unless we wanted to special order a machine and wait. Our current laser that they refurbished for us works pretty well and they have been very supportive the handful of times we have needed service. They are roughly an hour away so onsite service is affordable if necessary and we could avoid shipping charges.

Thunder - We would probably go with a 130W tube and a 51" x 35" bed. Biggest selling point is that this is the best cost to power/size of any of the options. Also uses hybrid servos instead of stepper motors so claims it can engrave at 1000mm/s as opposed to the 600mm/s max (in my experience 400mm/s practical) but not sure if that is practical or just hype. Downside is that all their tech support is online or via phone, no onsite option.

Your list of potential machines really narrows it down to one - Rabbit. They seem to have treated you right in the past and provided support that the other two can't.

The most surprising part is your story about the Trotec. Although their support is far from stellar, I have a hard time believing that they just threw a few tubes at a problem laser and then gave up on it.

Rabbit - Would probably be stuck with a 80W or 100W tube with a 47"x35" bed unless we wanted to special order a machine and wait. Our current laser that they refurbished for us works pretty well and they have been very supportive the handful of times we have needed service. They are roughly an hour away so onsite service is affordable if necessary and we could avoid shipping charges.

Gee stuck with only a 80 or 100W tube and 47x35 inch bed. Huh? Most of the users on here rarely have over an 80 watt unit. RabbitUSA is the only Chinese laser that has wonderful aftermarket support, and a hour away. kind of a no brainer.
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-03-2020 at 7:51 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I'll be brief: Look into www.triumphlaser.com

hit the 'product' tab, click on 'laser cutting system'...

Last edited by Kev Williams; 01-03-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Sounds like almost normal. FSL, no way. Trotec and Epilogs at 15k would be small machines. You want bigger. So Chinese.
    Boss, overpriced at least in my opinion. Thunder, over hypped. Sure, What are you engraving with a chinese 130w machine at a supposed 1000mm/s?
    I run mine at 400, (1300x900 80 watt) can actually move faster, but controller and tube won't fire well enough at anything faster. And really is a 130w machine going to engrave well at all vs 80 or 100 watt? Not in my simpleton opinion. My 80 struggles with delicate materials. And really, no service you can't get with any other chinese machine, which is really none.

I would look at the Triumph Kev mentioned.
    For sure Rabbit would be the best option for service that is reasonable and close. And is real, hands on service.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Gary: We have had a love/hate relationship with Trotec. We purchased the laser new roughly three and a half years ago, went through 6-7 tubes and at least 3 telescopes since then. The machine gets ran probably 2-3 hours per day normally and maybe 8-10 hours during the holiday season. While under the original warranty they sent various techs out to service it, each different one would tell us one thing and say the other one was wrong. Trotec blamed the dusty environment but even after we completely sealed the machine, added an air intake filter, and instituted a pretty thorough cleaning schedule the problems persisted. While we may not be the cleanest environment we felt that there was always an underlying issue that was never found. We would have loved to try a different machine to see if that was the cause or if it was the environment but that was never an option.

One of our biggest issues is that as a makerspace our members pay for hourly tool usage. Cutting at higher power or being able to engrave at faster speeds is a major benefit to our members. In a production environment you can overcome speed limitations by using multiple machines simultaneously. In our situation that isn't really an option.

We will definitely give Rabbit some more thought. Thanks guys.

For speed Trotec is the one to go with. I would contact them and see if they could give you an incentive because of all the problems with the first one.

"Dusty environment"--? LOL...

My filthy workhorse LS900, and my not quite as filthy yet LS100 in the background- does this look like a NON-dusty envirionment?
    de.jpg
    Note the doors are open on both machines- I run them both this way, wide open. If you think smoke drifts around the room, you'd be mistaken. And pretty much any nearby dust in this place will end up in these machines...

I've owned the LS900 for 15 years, and I've never had to lube the guide rails or bearings. Only lubing is to the table's lead screws. And even as bad as the thing looks, it works just like the day I bought it.

Dust wasn't your Trotec's killer...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Wow, something was definitely wrong with that machine! I've had mine for 4-1/2 years and had it serviced two weeks ago including a power test - it's an 80 watt machine and is still putting out 79 watts at the table. It's too bad that it didn't work out for you, any machine you get now will be such a big downgrade compared to the speed and accuracy of the Trotec. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Satterfield View Post
    Gary: We have had a love/hate relationship with Trotec. We purchased the laser new roughly three and a half years ago, went through 6-7 tubes and at least 3 telescopes since then. The machine gets ran probably 2-3 hours per day normally and maybe 8-10 hours during the holiday season. While under the original warranty they sent various techs out to service it, each different one would tell us one thing and say the other one was wrong. Trotec blamed the dusty environment but even after we completely sealed the machine, added an air intake filter, and instituted a pretty thorough cleaning schedule the problems persisted. While we may not be the cleanest environment we felt that there was always an underlying issue that was never found. We would have loved to try a different machine to see if that was the cause or if it was the environment but that was never an option.

Remember key word Service. Does Triumph have service techs? OP needs to understand fast cutting and good engraving are two different functions for a laser. A 130 watt machine may cut fast but the engraving will not be good. Sounds like he needs to do some research here. Been covered many times.

I've read other reports about issues with Trotec machines. Apparently they switched laser source supplier and the new brand has a higher failure rate compared to what they used before (can't recall if it was Synrad or Coherent).
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Trotec did changes suppliers but, contrary to your information they are not experiencing a higher failure rate. In fact, it is a rarity when tube problems are an issue. My new (2 years old) Trotec has one of the new ceramic tubes and I am very pleased with it. Not that my one example is meaningful but I do read the posts on this forum and another closely and follow such things as best I can.

Whenever issues with an engraving machine occur at a makerspace I shudder. I'm surprised they haven't burnt the building down.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Trotec did changes suppliers but, contrary to your information they are not experiencing a higher failure rate. In fact, it is a rarity when tube problems are an issue. My new (2 years old) Trotec has one of the new ceramic tubes and I am very pleased with it. Not that my one example is meaningful but I do read the posts on this forum and another closely and follow such things as best I can.

Whenever issues with an engraving machine occur at a makerspace I shudder. I'm surprised they haven't burnt the building down.
    I was going to suggest the same thing, put a bunch of new users with laser machine anything could happen. Trotec has an excellent reputation.