Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw blade gloat and the ethics of flipping

Blog Entries

Saw blade gloat and the ethics of flipping

63270CD1-FE54-4DF0-A308-E0820720B3F4.jpg

I bought these six blades today for $25, local CL. The two Forrest blades of course made it well worth the $25. I don’t even have a machine that uses 12” blades. But I woulda bought the 10” woodworker II alone for $25 either way.

turns out, the 12” blades are bored out to 1” arbor. So, I can’t imagine I’d ever use them. I was thinking of saving them in case I ever get a 12” SCMS. I have a 9” RAS.

now the ten inch blades. Aside from the wwII, there is a systi matic combo blade and an delta 37-615 combo blades. Now, I don’t know what to do. Original plan was to keep them all, get them sharpened as needed. but, I’ve read the systi matic is a great blade and the delta looks decent. I should add I just got a tenryu gold medal combo and CMT ripping blade in the last year as my primary users on my old Rockwell contractor saw.

I could use the money, I am thinking about selling the two forest blades on the big auction site, for, I assume, a decent profit. That was not the plan and the man that sold me the blades was a nice guy. So two questions, what blades to keep and use for woodworking, and how do you feel about making money off a fellow woodworker?

Blog Entries
    You might want to offer them for sale here at SMC. There are lots of folks with larger industrial type machines.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Those blades are yours to do what you want with. You paid him what he asked for them. As to which ones to keep,sharpen them and use them for a while see which ones end up on the saw the most then sell what you do not use. Good score by the way.

I see zero issue with "flipping" things when there's an opportunity to pick up a "pile of stuff" for a reasonable fee that has something you want/need and other things your don't. Make them presentable and sell them off. And I agree with Lee...post the blades you don't want in the SMC classifieds. There's no costs to you like there is at the "big auction site" outside of a transaction fee from PayPal or whatever and you have a woodworking audience here. (And yes, many of us do use 12" blades)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know if it were me selling them, I would have zero issues with a buyer turning around and selling them for a profit. It's highly likely the seller just wanted to get rid of them in the simplest, most efficient way possible. So, feel free to generate some guilt-free profits!
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

You can also get a 1” to 5/8” reducer to use the 12” blade on a RAS, which is what I do with my 12” Delta.

Flipping is fine but I usually don’t try to get top dollar when I do so. Usually try to make it a good deal for the buyer too, just not gloat worthy like yours!

One thing about blades is you usually can use more. I’d keep the ones that could have use and sell the others. I have a systematic blade too and like it - picked up in a similar way BTW.

If re-selling something for a profit is unethical, then our society is doomed.

Edwin

And yet, sometimes folks just don’t know. I recall an American Pickers episode where they buy a number of circus signs, discover they are worth far more than they paid and return to the owner to give him a few bucks back. Ok, it’s TV. But if I made a huge profit from an unknowing seller, I would share in the profit with the seller. Let’s say a widower at an estate sale has a #1 Stanley plane and it’s marked at $25. Do you pay the $25 and run? Or do you tell her it’s worth upwards of $1000 and offer her something a bit less?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    If re-selling something for a profit is unethical, then our society is doomed.

Edwin
    Doomed and wouldn't even have been STARTED! Buying or building low and selling high is called business! The WORLD is founded on that practice. I always find it humorous when people have some kind of issue with that concept.

OP: Flip to your hearts content! And if you can find more to buy cheap and sell for a profit, DO IT!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Zac, I'd be interested in the 12-inch Forrest if you decide to sell the blades.

Agreed, make as much as you can. Ive been in the seller's shoes before, where you just need to clear things out and forget about squeezing as much as you can out of the sale. Heck, im approaching that point now with about 700bdft of oak in my garage. Im not going to give it away for free, but id take $1.50 a board foot just to clear it out. 14-19" wide boards 12' long and FAS. Someone would walk away from that saying he stole the wood from me, but i would have my garage back for the heart of winter and make my wife not want to murder me.

You probably have $150ish in blades there. Maybe a smidgen more if they are in decent shape and dont need sharpened.

Oddly enough, ive had several people randomly call me out for reselling machines. Ive probably bought and resold two dozen machines over the years, and at one point i had very recognizable floors. I remember several emails to my craigslist posts along the lines of, "you greedy pig, you just purchased that machine three weeks ago for $200!". I am unsure who has that much time to sit around and police craigslist, but there you have it. I see nothing wrong with recognizing things are priced well under market value and capitalizing. Some purchases were very low with a lot of sweat equity to turn around and make a profit, and others were simply hitting them with the compressor and a rag before taking better photos.

I've bought blades that turned out to be a deal too but dilly dipping around selling and shipping stuff for $25 ( more if sharpened but you have travel time involved ) seemed like more work. I gave blades to friends who could use them and had the best of all worlds. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    And yet, sometimes folks just don’t know. I recall an American Pickers episode where they buy a number of circus signs, discover they are worth far more than they paid and return to the owner to give him a few bucks back. Ok, it’s TV. But if I made a huge profit from an unknowing seller, I would share in the profit with the seller. Let’s say a widower at an estate sale has a #1 Stanley plane and it’s marked at $25. Do you pay the $25 and run? Or do you tell her it’s worth upwards of $1000 and offer her something a bit less?
    Wouldn't bother me, but that's close to how I feed my family.

I see zero issue in flipping them. I have o my two caveats to that:
    1. If somebody outright gives me something I think it’s poor form to make money on it and feel like it should be “paid forward” so I’ll just give it away also if I don’t need it.
    2. The widow example above. My MIL got royally taken advantage of when my father in-law died so that’s a personal issue for me.

In this case it sounds like you bought it from somebody who knew what he had so I’d feel fine with it.

It would be wrong to not sell for maximum profit.