Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese chisel vendors

Japanese chisel vendors

I obtained my set of Koyamaichi oire nomi from Tools from Japan several years ago. Now they are pretty much not in business anymore, from where are people obtaining their Japanese chisels? I need a 3mm chisel for some kumiko projects. Thank you.

Brad Swanson

Stan Covington. Covingtonandsons dot com.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I obtained my set of Koyamaichi oire nomi from Tools from Japan several years ago. Now they are pretty much not in business anymore, from where are people obtaining their Japanese chisels? I need a 3mm chisel for some kumiko projects. Thank you.
    There's always hidatool.com and japanwoodworker.com (subsequently bought out by woodcraft, but they still have a good selection.)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    There's always hidatool.com and japanwoodworker.com (subsequently bought out by woodcraft, but they still have a good selection.)
    Lee Valley and Tools for Working Wood both have a selection of Japanese chisels.

Also, from recommendations I've bookmarked but never used:

Iida Tools

Japan Tool

Brad, Lee Valley sell Koyamaichi dovetail chisels.

Regards from Berlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post

Brad Swanson
    Brad,

I'd go with Phil's suggestion in post #2. I've dealt with most of the sellers mentioned so far and by far Stan is the best. Not just good tools but the level of personal service, advice, and turn around time is outstanding. BTW, I have an order with Stan for a couple of mortise chisels at this time, he is out of stock but it is worth the wait.

As an added bonus Stan supports the older Blacksmiths directly, hopefully keeping the skills alive and functioning for a few more years.

ken

Another vote for Stan. He personally knows most of the really good blacksmiths. And he's a delight to deal with.

dp

Hi all,

Looks like LV is no longer caring Koyamaichi. They just had the paring chisel on clearance and are now sold out; a few others are still in stock. I have also had good experience with Stan.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Brad,

Now you did it, you cost me a few bucks . Writing about Stan and the older Japanese Smiths made me realize other than a couple of mortise chisels I have not bought any chisels for awhile. Bottom line after a couple of emails to Stan I ordered a 10 chisel set of Kakuuchi style chisels made by Nagamitsu.

ken

Ken,

That style is a beast. I had Stan have his smith forge me one without an ura. It is my go to for making stopped cuts in my saw handles. It's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Ken,

That style is a beast. I had Stan have his smith forge me one without an ura. It is my go to for making stopped cuts in my saw handles. It's fantastic.
    Pete,

That's good to hear. I've always liked Western firmer chisels. I figured the Kakuuchi is the Japanese equivalent.

ken

The Postman handed me a box from Japan a few minutes ago. As usual, if the chisels are in stock, Stan's turn time is great. I ordered the set on 01/03 and they were on my door step 6 days (if my math is correct) later on 01/09.

Photo of the set just unwrapped:

chiselsNewSet.jpg

ken

Wow, what a late Christmas present to yourself Ken! I have 3 of Stan's chisels, and I somehow keep reaching for them over my Sorby's. They are a bit sharper, and stay sharper longer.

Nice set of chisels Ken. I also got some from Stan a few months ago and had a similar experience. Did you get the mortise raker?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Wow, what a late Christmas present to yourself Ken! I have 3 of Stan's chisels, and I somehow keep reaching for them over my Sorby's. They are a bit sharper, and stay sharper longer.

Mark,

Yeah, it is enjoyable to deal with Stan. I've a few chisels from him and they are my usual go to chisels for most things. That said, my Sorby pattern maker chisel get a lot of love as well.

ken