Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal Style Sideboard Build – Lots of Pics

Very nice work. Love the Federal style. For me this was inspirational to try a Federal piece.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work and the read was also great, thanks for sharing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your kind words! I think might be too many pics, but that’s what I like and thought I would just go for it and include them.

I’m interested in how others do half blind DT’s and appreciate and suggestions .

Cheers, Mike

Not too many pictures, at all. Your build threads are fantastic, as are the pieces!

mike thanks for posting all the pictures. the side board came out beautiful! did you make the banding? when i cut half blind dt i usually clamp the drawer front flat on the bench and over cut the base line a bit jerry

I saw to the sharp pencil line (might have to whittle down the sides of a pencil, but I don't get along as well with a scribed line), and clean it out with a little router-StewMac plunge base w/Milwaukee 12v cordless rotary tool (current favorite in that base). Derek makes a special base of the small Makita router for this job. I thought about copying Derek's design, but I like the little one, since I can keep both my hands on the piece beside where I'm cleaning it out. I forget what size bit I use, but it's a little one. Finished with a dovetail chisel in the corners-reground blue handled Marples.

Nice work and GREAT pics,,I believe that is a G. Huey project...
    Jerry

Wow Mike, that is super work!

You have no idea what a life saver you are ... here I am, trampling the streets of Europe, and have not yet seen a furniture display to set my pulse racing (although I hit the Bauhaus museum in a few days). Back in the quiet of the hotel, missing my shop terribly, I find your build ... and what a build! It has everything .. handworked joinery, inlay, design ... thanks.

Regards from Berlin

Derek

Wow not sure which is more impressive, the piece or the pics and narrative!

Looks good, made me tired just reading it all....may have sprained the index finger, scrolling down through it all.....I guess I had better get back to work...

Beautifully and skillfully executed. Thank you for taking the time to document the build. Well done. Very informative and inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    ... I’m interested in how others do half blind DT’s and appreciate and suggestions .

Cheers, Mike
    Mike, is there something specific you want to compare with your method?

Regards from Berlin

Derek

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010:
    ... I’m interested in how others do half blind DT’s and appreciate and suggestions .
    This is an old post of mine involving half blind dovetails:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?258465

Two points on mine are sawing a kerf in the middle of the waste and using a tool to extend the kerf to the base of the socket of all three kerfs.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Schram View Post
    mike thanks for posting all the pictures. the side board came out beautiful! did you make the banding? when i cut half blind dt i usually clamp the drawer front flat on the bench and over cut the base line a bit jerry
    Jerry, thanks for your comments. No, I absolutely didn't make the banding myself- that is waaay above my head. I got the banding from my local Rockler store- I believe it pretty standard for them to stock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Wow Mike, that is super work!

You have no idea what a life saver you are ... here I am, trampling the streets of Europe, and have not yet seen a furniture display to set my pulse racing (although I hit the Bauhaus museum in a few days). Back in the quiet of the hotel, missing my shop terribly, I find your build ... and what a build! It has everything .. handworked joinery, inlay, design ... thanks.

Regards from Berlin

Derek
    Derek, I'm glad I could provide a woodworking fix for a weary traveler! I have learned so much and thoroughly enjoyed your posts over the years – glad I could reciprocate in a small way. I would love to hear your impressions of the the Bauhaaus Museum. Not exactly my aesthetic choice of style but I certainly appreciate their stylistic influence on furniture and their high standards of execution. If you get a chance, I'd love to hear your thoughts and get some pictures. Best wishes for safe travel.

All the best, Mike