Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good and reasonably priced track saw

Good and reasonably priced track saw

I'm tooling up to do my first resin table and I'd rather not spend the $600 for the Festool track saw I'm seeing in all the videos. Is there a comparable model that performs as well? I definitely won't be a high volume producer. Don't need it to do any specialized functions. Just need it to have settings for cut depths and use a vacuum system.
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

Dewalt, Makita, Grizzly, Triton, Kreg all come to mind...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like my Mikita.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I have the makita also, I like it and the dust collection is good.

I like my Makita, though I wish it had a riving knife.

The Makita saw itself looks really nice and solidly made, the only issue is the tracks themselves which aren't known for being consistently straight. I'd try to buy local if you went that route.

I have the DeWalt, My friend has the Makita. I like the Makita track but like the DeWalt saw. The Makita is slow to spin up and I end up plunging it before it is up to speed. The Dewalt feels more powerful.

I like the Festool and others have mentioned options, but if you are only doing 1 table, a circular saw and a guide.

Most of them are rather spendy, basically withinspitting distance of the Festool. Grizzly sells one for substantially less.

I have the Dewalt and like it a lot. But it's $500+. This thread has been interesting and might give you additional ideas. LINK

Here's some discussion on the Kreg. LINK
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-02-2020 at 11:38 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I like my Makita, although I don't have experience with other brands to compare. What led me towards Makita is that I was already invested in their cordless tools and wanted more batteries anyways.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've spent so much money up to this point that I'm probably gonna have to go budget on this until I can afford one of the better track options.

So I guess I'll be going with just a straight forward circular saw. Can anyone recommend a good deep cutting circ saw that'll work with using a straight edge guide (maple board) and some clamps?
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

Blog Entries
    Another happy Makita user.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    What is a resin table?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Another happy Makita user.

Makita here as well!