Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good and reasonably priced track saw

The track saw that Grizzly sells is sold under several labels in several colors. I need track saw functions rarely so am happy with a 'saw board' 1/8" masonite with a STRAIGHT aluminum/honeycomb strip glued to the masonite. Run a saw down the overwidth masonite and I have an accurate edge. A track saw will do things a saw guide will not do and perhaps do so more accurately. I guess it depends on how often you need the function and how much of a toy collector you are.

I have the generic track saw that is sold as a Grizzly--mine was originally under a different name. It is "okay" for rough cutting, but there is a lot of wobble in the track/saw connection that you have to constantly futz with. I had to replace the stock blade with an aftermarket.

I know the OP said that he does not want to spend the Festool $$$, but the problem is, you are either in the Grizzly range or up in the Festool range. Most the Dewalt/Makita are generally in the $450-600 range--which puts in you spitting distance of the Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by brad hays View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good deep cutting circ saw that'll work with using a straight edge guide (maple board) and some clamps?
    Brad, this is an idea that may or may not work for you. Doing a quick price check, circ saws seem to run from $100 to about $250. If you can swing it, you can buy just the (corded) Circ Saw part of the Dewalt Track Saw System (search "bare tool") for around $350. Then buy the aluminum track later, when you are ready. I don't know of any reason that wouldnt work on a shop made track/guide. (Does anyone else?)

Unless you see a need for 2 circ saws in the future, this saves money in the long term. (If you can stretch a little more, now.)

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You can always use straightedge clamps like these:

D29D62B0-F11C-47DB-95E9-58AD90557D16.jpeg

Useful ideas to use in conjunction with a straightedge:

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...board-template

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...ing-edge-guide

Unless you already have tracks, the price of the saw is not very meaningful without factoring in the tracks. I bought my DeWalt because I could get a 100+ track and a 59 inch track with the saw for about 600. Festool would have been nearly double that. Getting two 59 inch tracks would make the Festool more reasonable but I did not want to mess with joining them. But regardless of what configuration you want, I think you need to look at pricing with the required track.

I bought my bought my DeWalt as a refurb. The saw with 2 59" tracks was $320. The nice thing about DeWalt(and Bosch as well) is that they have general sales at holidays that can be as high as $20%. Stores like Lowes and Home Depot often have coupons that can be used towards anything Bosch and DeWalt. Festool is so restricted as to discounts. I bought tracks and accessories for my DeWalt using these discounts

I know you're trying not the spend the bucks and I can appreciate that. That said, I prescribe to the "buy once" idea. If you can at all afford it, you won't be sorry you ponied up for the Festool. Everyone makes comparisons to Festool, so why not get the Festool...if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac wingert View Post
    What is a resin table?
    Epoxy I would guess.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I love my corded Makita. Excellent dust collection! The Dewalt track clamps are excellent and reasonably priced.

How about something like this:

https://www.rockler.com/all-in-one-l...mproved-clamps

Straightedge clamp that you can add a router or circular saw plate to.

Blog Entries
    My Grizzly works just fine.
    NOW you tell me...

There is many ways to get a straight cut. Track saws simplify making a straight cut, at a price of course. A straight cut will only be as straight as the guide, or track. If you have a reliable straight guide, and apply common sense to your technique, you can accomplish a straight cut. The difference is, it takes more time, practice, set up, etc. There is so many products and methods of getting a straight cut, check out youtube videos. I like the masonite idea above. Just remember, when cutting, dont stress out the guide, it can flex, including tracks. Use it as a reference, vs. absorbing lateral saw force. I bought a Bosch corded circ saw on sale for $80, cut quality and dust collection is impressive. So, while track systems work great, and ideal for pros, or those not on a budget, you dont have to break the bank to get straight cuts.

A lot of people buy track systems, in place of a table saw. So the cost of the track system seems less costly as a decent TS would cost as much, or more. This assumes you will have a future in the hobby.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    There is many ways to get a straight cut. Track saws simplify making a straight cut, at a price of course. A straight cut will only be as straight as the guide, or track. If you have a reliable straight guide, and apply common sense to your technique, you can accomplish a straight cut. The difference is, it takes more time, practice, set up, etc. There is so many products and methods of getting a straight cut, check out youtube videos. I like the masonite idea above. Just remember, when cutting, dont stress out the guide, it can flex, including tracks. Use it as a reference, vs. absorbing lateral saw force. I bought a Bosch corded circ saw on sale for $80, cut quality and dust collection is impressive. So, while track systems work great, and ideal for pros, or those not on a budget, you dont have to break the bank to get straight cuts.

A lot of people buy track systems, in place of a table saw. So the cost of the track system seems less costly as a decent TS would cost as much, or more. This assumes you will have a future in the hobby.
    One major advantage of a track system, whether it be a saw or router track vs an edge guide, is that you don't need to remember to push the saw or router against the edge guide, it can't wander to the right of the guide as it is captured within the track. Can't tell you how many pieces I ruined trying to keep a router up against a regular guide board.

Another thought regarding posts: We are taught to measure twice, cut once. Same goes for posting. Before I hit the post button (cut if you will), I go back and measure my words again to make sure I caught my obvious mistakes and didn't add an inch here or there. Our work and our words are what most measure us by. Even doing that, I guess I am not surprised how often I need to go back and edit a post that I just put up for everybody to see. Personally I always read my own post after posting it. Much like I run my hands over my finished projects to see if I missed sanding a spot before handing it off to someone else. But etiquette says (and generally the internet has learned) we don't single out someone for spelling or incorrect use of the language. We are not in their shoes. Let it slide. BTW, I am an old engineer, not a wordsmith.
    NOW you tell me...

Love my Makita SP6000J1!

AGreed on riding ON a hump to reduce risk of wander. It happens to all of us. But there is low cost systems out there to accomplish this as well without moving to a full blown track system. Veritas makes there own universal track system you can rig up your tool to work with it. It rides in the track, it can not wander. There is a few ready made ones as well... cant recall the names. These are all lower cost solutions for straight cuts without the risk of wander.