Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools - Newbie

1. I would second Gary’s suggestion. I upgraded from a nice Chinese machine to a used speedy this summer . One of the best decisions I have made.

My old machine was faster than a glowforge but the speedy finishes most jobs 5 or 10 times faster than the old machine. If you are using the laser to make money it’s an easy choice. If you are just having fun its a much more complicated decision.

Not sure what the used market is around you but it might be worth looking into as well. If you do end up with the speedy get at least 80w. Any less and you don’t have enough laser power to max out the speed. Might not matter all that much to you right now, but they do retain a lot of value and it will impact resale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Flexx is one of those things that sound great at first but once you really research it the benefit dies away quickly. The way a fiber works is 100% suitable for galvo and not so much for gantry and for most engraving purposes you won't get anywhere near the same results with a gantry as you will with galvo, both in quality of engraving and production speed. Then when you throw cost into the mix you find that a galvo is really the way to go. I don't know the current price for the Flexx upgrade but when I bought my Speedy 400 it was enough to easily buy two fiber lasers today. Another consideration is redundancy - with a Flexx machine as your CO2 and fiber, when one is down the other is likely down as well, not so with separate machines. You are correct that Trotec are in a completely different price range and comparing with similarly priced machines it's still the better value (to me anyway) and there is no comparison whatsoever to any glass tube machine. High speed coupled with ultra-fast acceleration means that there are few machines that can keep up with it. Add in the fact that they are built like tanks and you have an unbeatable combination. Get the Speedy 300 without the fiber option and I guarantee you won't be sorry!
    Thats actually funny, i thought the same thing as you said with "one being down, the other most like will also". Which is = 100% downtime.

I have asked the rep to have a few quotes ready for me, when I get over there.

However im not sure about what wattage to get and which extras to get.

Im pretty sure, I dont need a 120watt version. But maybe around 80watt would probably do it (im guessing here).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomason View Post
    I would second Gary’s suggestion. I upgraded from a nice Chinese machine to a used speedy this summer . One of the best decisions I have made.

My old machine was faster than a glowforge but the speedy finishes most jobs 5 or 10 times faster than the old machine. If you are using the laser to make money it’s an easy choice. If you are just having fun its a much more complicated decision.

Not sure what the used market is around you but it might be worth looking into as well. If you do end up with the speedy get at least 80w. Any less and you don’t have enough laser power to max out the speed. Might not matter all that much to you right now, but they do retain a lot of value and it will impact resale.
    I have been looking around, but no used on the side of the pond :O

As i answered to Gary, I have looked at the 80w version, but not sure what else to get from there. Like lens/bed/Rotary/Software (Vision/Cut) etc etc Its like buying a car. I want it all, but not sure I need all of it.

4. That begs the question-what are you planning to be doing with it?

That begs the question-what are you planning to be doing with it?
    Well mainly would be cutting, engraving acrylic, glass, different wood materials for assembly

Would love to be able to cut roughly 1/2" wood, for constructing bigger items.
    Last edited by Soren Christensen; 01-10-2020 at 5:12 PM.

80 watts will have a hard time with 1/2" wood You should look at 130 to 150 watts for half inch wood.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    80 watts will have a hard time with 1/2" wood You should look at 130 to 150 watts for half inch wood.
    1/2" isnt required Its just something I dream about being able to, some day.

For now, Ive noticed that people are pleased with their 80w machine. So Im gonna stick with 80w.
    Just need to figure out what else to get in it.

I see most people have the honeycomb table, so might as well get that. Havent seen anything regarding lenses, so for starters just go with the 1.5" for fine engravings. And have been told, that I can always add the rotary piece later on, once the need is there for it.

8. An 80w speedy is a very good choice.

I would recommend a 2 inch lense instead. I don’t think there is a noticeable difference in engraving quality but there is a noticeable difference in cutting depth. just my 2 cents. Other accessories can come later

An 80w speedy is a very good choice.

I would recommend a 2 inch lense instead. I don’t think there is a noticeable difference in engraving quality but there is a noticeable difference in cutting depth. just my 2 cents. Other accessories can come later
    Thanx for the recommendation I was actually considering getting the standard 1.5 and then a second one. So that might just be the 2.0

Im thinking about starting to get to know the various systems, before getting the laser. So which design system is mostly used? Is that CorelDraw or any other type? Since I might already have my first customer

A 1.5" lens will be overkill for the materials you mentioned and will only cause you more problems due to the lens being closer to the engraving surface and getting dirty faster, requiring more cleaning and more likelihood of damage. Go with a 2" and you'll get all the detail you will ever need. If you are cutting then you could even go with a 3" for your "spare" lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Soren Christensen View Post
    Thanx for the recommendation I was actually considering getting the standard 1.5 and then a second one. So that might just be the 2.0

Im thinking about starting to get to know the various systems, before getting the laser. So which design system is mostly used? Is that CorelDraw or any other type? Since I might already have my first customer

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    A 1.5" lens will be overkill for the materials you mentioned and will only cause you more problems due to the lens being closer to the engraving surface and getting dirty faster, requiring more cleaning and more likelihood of damage. Go with a 2" and you'll get all the detail you will ever need. If you are cutting then you could even go with a 3" for your "spare" lens.
    Wouldnt the 1.5" be better for really small details, than the 2" and 3"? Also i dont see a 3" lens, not for CO2 atleast. I see a 1.5, 2.0 (a 2.0 clearance), 2.5, 4.0" . 2.85" is for flexx and 3.2" is for the fiber laser.

But then again, you guys are the experts and im only seeking advice
    Last edited by Soren Christensen; 01-12-2020 at 9:41 AM.

I would cancel the the order if possible. And I am serious. Order a Chinese branded machine with Local support. There are several options as mentioned. I would say buy usa branded but it sounds like that mlight be out of your budget. Again I am not kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    I would cancel the the order if possible. And I am serious. Order a Chinese branded machine with Local support. There are several options as mentioned. I would say buy usa branded but it sounds like that mlight be out of your budget. Again I am not kidding
    Already cancelled the order and am talking to a local Trotec rep.

Though im still trying to figure out which configuration of the Speedy 300, i want to have.

I would get all the power you can afford. Lenses, get 2.0" and 2.5".. You'll be amazed at the detail from a 2.0" lens. Get a rotary device.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

lego

Hi,
    Lego, i have a 10'' x 10'' base and different shaped pieces
    Great for making quick jigs
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W