Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Tools - Newbie

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30

    Lightbulb Tools - Newbie

    Hi guys,

    New to the forum and I have been going through most of it to get some hints and tips, which has been more than helpful.

    However. Just starting out with a laser system(which i set to arrive in a few weeks) I kinda wanna be ready, for when it comes.

    So I would love to hear, what set of tools you would suggest me to make sure i have at hand.

    When I say tools, I dont mean for assembly.
    For every day use, when doing woodwork, working with akryl, for marking on metal and such things.


    Thanx in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SE South Dakota
    Posts
    1,382
    I'll chime in.

    Dial calipers, various rare earth magnets, 10X loupe, disposable foam brushes, painters tape, DNA, Q tips, plastic and regular razor blades.......
    You'll be adding other things as you go along. All is dependent on what you are going to be "majoring" in.

    Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,665
    Blog Entries
    1
    Get some Paper mask. Wider than painter's tape. I use for masking some wood, (eliminates stain from burnt wood vapor deposits)
    I've got 4" and 8" widths. I use a medium tack, I've needed high tack occasionally. (high is about same as your painter's tape)
    Way easier to use if you need to cover wide area and probably 10% the cost of painter's tape. (maybe less)
    I use a guy on ebay, JRS. Been the cheapest I've found.
    Absolutely calipers, Nothing expensive, I use a Mitutoyo that were about $25, Grizzly has a some I got that were only $16.95, HF, no, too inconsistent.
    Pack or two of cheap microfiber cloths., Magnets, and more magnets. (hold downs.) nothing high, nozzle could hit.

    I made up about 3 or 4 6" acrylic and romark (two color plastic) rulers. Make yourself. Good practice and way useful. I grab them a LOT.
    Roll of paper towels for use with the DNA to clean stuff. (buy gallon of DNA from big box, cheap and you will use it)
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser
    Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws

    RIA 22TCM 1911s

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    I'll chime in.

    Dial calipers, various rare earth magnets, 10X loupe, disposable foam brushes, painters tape, DNA, Q tips, plastic and regular razor blades.......
    You'll be adding other things as you go along. All is dependent on what you are going to be "majoring" in.

    Bruce
    Those rare earth magnets, are you perhaps able to point me in the right direction?


    Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Get some Paper mask. Wider than painter's tape. I use for masking some wood, (eliminates stain from burnt wood vapor deposits)
    I've got 4" and 8" widths. I use a medium tack, I've needed high tack occasionally. (high is about same as your painter's tape)
    Way easier to use if you need to cover wide area and probably 10% the cost of painter's tape. (maybe less)
    I use a guy on ebay, JRS. Been the cheapest I've found.
    Absolutely calipers, Nothing expensive, I use a Mitutoyo that were about $25, Grizzly has a some I got that were only $16.95, HF, no, too inconsistent.
    Pack or two of cheap microfiber cloths., Magnets, and more magnets. (hold downs.) nothing high, nozzle could hit.

    I made up about 3 or 4 6" acrylic and romark (two color plastic) rulers. Make yourself. Good practice and way useful. I grab them a LOT.
    Roll of paper towels for use with the DNA to clean stuff. (buy gallon of DNA from big box, cheap and you will use it)
    I have been searching high and low for big rolls of masking tape, but havent been able to find the wide ones, only the small and flimse ones.
    The rulers are a nice touch. Homemade and something to practice with

    Again with the magnets. Love it. But not sure which to buy. :/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Murphy NC
    Posts
    583
    What machine did you purchase?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01
    Some Patience

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    What machine did you purchase?
    Since im starting out in this area, i wanted something that i didnt have to do modding to, so i went with the Glowforge Pro.

    I know that I could have gotten a few chinese ones for the same price, but again. I dont want to be modding. Only need to switch out the vent system and turn off the internal fan, to get it a bit more quiet and get better venting

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    3,671
    I would highly suggest getting a few jigsaw puzzles and maybe some word-cross books, or learn that 2nd language you always wanted to learn, to keep you busy while the machine is running. Glowforge are well known for being slower than anything on earth and you might as well put your waiting time to good use.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soren Christensen View Post
    Since im starting out in this area, i wanted something that i didnt have to do modding to, so i went with the Glowforge Pro.

    I know that I could have gotten a few chinese ones for the same price, but again. I dont want to be modding. Only need to switch out the vent system and turn off the internal fan, to get it a bit more quiet and get better venting
    I have done so much with so little for so long, that I can do almost anything with practically nothing...

    Trotec Speedy 400 80 watt 8/2015
    G. Weike LF-30, 30 watt galvo fiber - 1/2016
    G. Weike LF-30, 30 watt galvo fiber - 3/2015
    Fargo HDP5000 Card printer


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Iowa USA
    Posts
    3,478
    You also need to have a good working fire extinguisher, a Lazy Boy chair, side table for drinks and snacks. Window AC to keep the room temp below 75 DegF. Time to read the Search results on this Forum from the past 4 years about the Glow Forge.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , LightObject 40w CO2 Laser and Chiller, Fine Line Automation 4x4 CNC Router- Mach4 ESS

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    3,671
    You said you got a "laser system" and people started to give advice based on that information, when we found out you got a Glowforge we had to shift gears and make recommendations based on this new information. I was 100% serious about my previous recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soren Christensen View Post
    Lets just make one thing clear guys.

    Im not interested in anything else than tool tips, that are a must have/nice to have around.

    So please keep all comments about that and nothing else
    I have done so much with so little for so long, that I can do almost anything with practically nothing...

    Trotec Speedy 400 80 watt 8/2015
    G. Weike LF-30, 30 watt galvo fiber - 1/2016
    G. Weike LF-30, 30 watt galvo fiber - 3/2015
    Fargo HDP5000 Card printer


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    327
    #1 Fire extinguisher (for when a fire happens)
    #2 Notebook and pencil (to record what settings work and don't work)
    #3 Internet connection (Software updates/research recommended settings from manufacturer)
    #4 Time (to spend on youtube learning how other users of your specfic laser got it to work with specific material)
    #5 Scrap material (you will burn through alot of material until you get the right setting for your machine)
    #6 Cleaning wipes (to clear lense and mirrors)
    #7 Just normal measurement tools.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    #1 Fire extinguisher (for when a fire happens)
    #2 Notebook and pencil (to record what settings work and don't work)
    #3 Internet connection (Software updates/research recommended settings from manufacturer)
    #4 Time (to spend on youtube learning how other users of your specfic laser got it to work with specific material)
    #5 Scrap material (you will burn through alot of material until you get the right setting for your machine)
    #6 Cleaning wipes (to clear lense and mirrors)
    #7 Just normal measurement tools.
    Thank you,
    This is what I need

  12. #12
    1: Decent Co2 fire extinguisher
    2: A second decent Co2 fire extinguisher
    You did what !

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,665
    Blog Entries
    1
    Look for vinyl application tape, Paper specifically. Suppliers that do the vinyl car wraps have it. I KNOW you have someone in Denmark that does vinyl car wraps.
    I'll not say anything about your choice in laser... Today..... Except you HAVE to have a good internet connection.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser
    Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws

    RIA 22TCM 1911s

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Look for vinyl application tape, Paper specifically. Suppliers that do the vinyl car wraps have it. I KNOW you have someone in Denmark that does vinyl car wraps.
    I'll not say anything about your choice in laser... Today..... Except you HAVE to have a good internet connection.
    Again good advice.

    However, my order was pushed back a few weeks and I happen to meet a guy from a danish rep of Trotec. We have agreed to meet at their showroom next week, for a demonstration of a handful of various materials to show me the "stock".

    I have been looking at Trotec and have been very satisfied with their machines, but they are just in a completely different price range. (i know the phrase, you get what you pay for). Have been eyeing their Speedy 300 Flexx, but just not sure its worth the extra $$$ for the flexx, when you have materials as cermark and likewise.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    3,671
    Flexx is one of those things that sound great at first but once you really research it the benefit dies away quickly. The way a fiber works is 100% suitable for galvo and not so much for gantry and for most engraving purposes you won't get anywhere near the same results with a gantry as you will with galvo, both in quality of engraving and production speed. Then when you throw cost into the mix you find that a galvo is really the way to go. I don't know the current price for the Flexx upgrade but when I bought my Speedy 400 it was enough to easily buy two fiber lasers today. Another consideration is redundancy - with a Flexx machine as your CO2 and fiber, when one is down the other is likely down as well, not so with separate machines. You are correct that Trotec are in a completely different price range and comparing with similarly priced machines it's still the better value (to me anyway) and there is no comparison whatsoever to any glass tube machine. High speed coupled with ultra-fast acceleration means that there are few machines that can keep up with it. Add in the fact that they are built like tanks and you have an unbeatable combination. Get the Speedy 300 without the fiber option and I guarantee you won't be sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by Soren Christensen View Post
    Again good advice.

    However, my order was pushed back a few weeks and I happen to meet a guy from a danish rep of Trotec. We have agreed to meet at their showroom next week, for a demonstration of a handful of various materials to show me the "stock".

    I have been looking at Trotec and have been very satisfied with their machines, but they are just in a completely different price range. (i know the phrase, you get what you pay for). Have been eyeing their Speedy 300 Flexx, but just not sure its worth the extra $$$ for the flexx, when you have materials as cermark and likewise.
    I have done so much with so little for so long, that I can do almost anything with practically nothing...

    Trotec Speedy 400 80 watt 8/2015
    G. Weike LF-30, 30 watt galvo fiber - 1/2016
    G. Weike LF-30, 30 watt galvo fiber - 3/2015
    Fargo HDP5000 Card printer


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •