Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tools - Newbie

Yes the 1.5" will provide better details but with anything but anodized aluminum you won't really be able to see the difference. I've got a 3" and a 4" for my Speedy 400 and assumed they would have the same sizes for the 300.

Quote Originally Posted by Soren Christensen View Post
    Wouldnt the 1.5" be better for really small details, than the 2" and 3"? Also i dont see a 3" lens, not for CO2 atleast. I see a 1.5, 2.0 (a 2.0 clearance), 2.5, 4.0" . 2.85" is for flexx and 3.2" is for the fiber laser.

But then again, you guys are the experts and im only seeking advice

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Yes the 1.5" will provide better details but with anything but anodized aluminum you won't really be able to see the difference. I've got a 3" and a 4" for my Speedy 400 and assumed they would have the same sizes for the 300.
    In the technical sheet showing the different configurations, I couldn't see the 3.0

But I mailed the rep the following config:

Speedy 300
    80watt laser
    Honeycomb table
    Lens: 2.0 and 2.5
    Rotary attachment

Still waiting for a reply.

I think I saw something about a discount for SMC members, but any idea how much that is?

Also I told the rep, that I will be attending a trade show in Germany (trotec is represented there) in a few weeks, so might push him a bit on the price

You might want to reconsider the honeycomb table. It's not very strong and unless you do a lot of cutting of very thin material then you'd be better off with the ferromagnetic table. I use an aluminum grid that I bought online and made a frame to hold it above the bed to allow for airflow, it was about $200USD and works great! The other nice thing about the ferromagnetic table is that you can use magnets to hold down thin/bent/warped materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Soren Christensen View Post
    In the technical sheet showing the different configurations, I couldn't see the 3.0

But I mailed the rep the following config:

Speedy 300
    80watt laser
    Honeycomb table
    Lens: 2.0 and 2.5
    Rotary attachment

Still waiting for a reply.

I think I saw something about a discount for SMC members, but any idea how much that is?

Also I told the rep, that I will be attending a trade show in Germany (trotec is represented there) in a few weeks, so might push him a bit on the price

My Honeycomb table is magnetic and has held up close to 5 years now , Just sayin
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Your Trotec honeycomb? If not then your talking about a different table and it's not really relevant to what properties a Trotec table has.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    My Honeycomb table is magnetic and has held up close to 5 years now , Just sayin

The honeycomb table that came with my Trotec is well made and quite substantial. That said, I usually use an acrylic grid as I cut a fair amount of plastic and it leaves the back of the plastic fairly clean.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

whats so different about a trotec honeycomb and my honeycomb. Mines well built has a solid frame and is magnetic. I can't see where a trotec would be much different.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I may be completely wrong, I have been (many times) before, but I was told the Trotec honeycomb was aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    whats so different about a trotec honeycomb and my honeycomb. Mines well built has a solid frame and is magnetic. I can't see where a trotec would be much different.

The Trotec grid is aluminum but sturdier than the typical aluminum grids I've seen with other machines. The frame is rigid, square and reversible so that you can use English or metric rules.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

And that was my point to Bert - aluminum = not magnetic

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    The Trotec grid is aluminum but sturdier than the typical aluminum grids I've seen with other machines. The frame is rigid, square and reversible so that you can use English or metric rules.

I have the 80w Trotec, awesome machine. I suggest 1.5”, 2” and 4” lens. Those are the 3 main things that make your CO2 so versatile, and I would get them before any of the accessory beds. You can cut and engrave Anything on the basic cutting table that comes with the machine and a few scrap pieces of acrylic for spacers. I do not cut much wood so no comment there, however the 80w is awesome for engraving wood, laminates, marking aluminum, and acrylic. The 80w will cut through 15mm acrylic in one pass with no trouble approx 10” per minute. I haven’t tried thicker but I would guess 20mm would be about the max thickness in 1 slowwww pass.

As for other items that I sure use a lot would be a digital caliper, and blue masking tape.