Thread: Cast Iron Repair - Best Epoxy?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cast Iron Repair - Best Epoxy?

I have to repair a piece of cast iron that has a very clean break. This is the base of my jointer fence, so it doesn't get much stress in-use. So, since I want to make the repair as "invisible" as possible, I don't want to weld / braze.

Any ideas on which epoxy would be best? There are several factors involved:

1: Obviously, the ability to bond cast iron well. - not just tensile strength. In fact, tensile strength is probably the least important factor in this case.

2: The ability to bond when the pieces are clamped tightly. Most epoxies work best with LESS clamping pressure than typically used with wood glues, but I want this break to disappear as much as possible, so....

3: A cured color that comes as close to cast iron as possible. Something "too light" can always be darkened, but not vice-versa.

---------------

JB Weld is always a consideration, but I fear it might be too thick.

Standard 30-minute epoxies are incredibly strong, and thin, but I can't find any data on them, re cast iron.

System Three recommends their "Met Weld." The cured color looks pretty close, and the stuff is STRONG, (!) but again I fear it might be too thick.

Permatex 84109 also looks promising.
    -------------------------------------------

Your thoughts / recommendations?

thx.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 01-02-2020 at 3:13 PM.