Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: the new yankee workshop would never make it today - discuss....

Norm had some favorite tools with the name covered with duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kepley View Post
    Norm was popular for so many years in large part because he is so relatable. He's a very nice guy. I watched every episode to see how tools were used and to learn some woodworking. In my opinion, Norm is the starting point of the current YouTube woodworker culture. I look back on NYWS with great fondness, and I really enjoy seeing Norm on current TOH episodes. Norm was good for woodworking. I'm sure Delta was a sponsor of NYWS, but the tools were simply used in the project. I struggle mightily with sponsorships and product placement on YouTube. I know these folks need to make a living. I wish there were full disclosure of paid relationships.
    I actually don't mind the sponsorship part, I struggle with the ones that do "stunt" project to get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Thinking back to Norm’s shows I wonder how many radial arm saws and hollow chisel mortisers he helped sell!!!
    Ha Peter, that was great.

My brother and I still laugh when my brother says "my dedicated mortising station, just like Norm's"

I think Norm did more to popularize wood working than anyone I can think of..............Regards, Rod.

I liked all the old PBS shows from Norm to the Woodwright and David Marks and the newer stuff like Woodsmith.

There were /are very few episodes in which I failed to learn something. Yet all had/have faults. Norm’s penchant for molding and brad nailing, Woodsmith’s reliance on all things Rockler, and David J Marks’ use of machinery that no one had.

The same can be said of all the YouTube guys. I’ve seen a guy that put way too much glue on everything (he proudly displayed a barrel of Titebond he had), scary scenes with fingers way too close to table saw blades, and other hacks. But even with complete YouTube clowns, I always pick up some nugget. The You Tube standouts for me are Paul Sellers and William Ng. These guys are just about perfect. I want to be just like them.

Regards,

Tom

Oddly enough I pulled up to work this week and this was across the street.

65311F35-AD2E-49C7-8175-01C35FBA6B90.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Oddly enough I pulled up to work this week and this was across the street.

65311F35-AD2E-49C7-8175-01C35FBA6B90.jpg
    did you say hi?

Nah,

Trailer was wide open but nobody in site. I suspect they were filming somewhere indoors being im i. a industrial park full of various shops.

Plus I’m not the type I’m shy believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff norris 2011 View Post
    did you say hi?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Steve, Happy New year.

I agree completely with your post.

I live in Toronto so I watch Tom on WNED, the Buffalo PBS station. They haven't aired any new episodes, at least that I've seen, too bad as I enjoyed the new format, I found Tommy Mac too frantic and too interested in "being hip with the kids" tto make an enjoyable viewing moment for me.

Regards, Rod.
    Hi Rod! I caught your post regarding the dedicated mortise station, lol, that's why I went through a dovetail jig buying phase for a while!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    The You Tube standouts for me are Paul Sellers and William Ng. These guys are just about perfect. I want to be just like them.
    Agreed. I like Paul's cheap tools. He's always trying to make things that anybody can take advantage of. Surprised there's been no mention of Stumpy Nubs, lots of great tips, product reviews, and projects.