Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8" Jointer recommendation in Canada

8" Jointer recommendation in Canada

I am an amateur woodworker looking for an 8" jointer in Canada. I've narrowed it down to King spiral, Laguna Sheartec and Shopfox W1860. Shopfox seems to be the best value (Parallelogram long tables with 3HP motor) at 2500$ CAD (budget limit) with shipping included. A bit sceptical with W1860 as I can't find any reviews?

Any thoughts or others I should consider?

Thanks,
    Frank

There nothing listed on Kijiji near you?

I have a the 8" from Busy Bee. It's the 3 knife model, 3HP and parallelogram. I've been very happy with it for the last 3 years. It was approx $1500 so under your budget

you might want to check canadianwoodworking.com as well. Info on new and used equipment. Dave

where are you?

Frank, for that budget I would suggest you add a bit more and purchase a used jointer/planer combination.

You’ll have a 12 or 16 inch jointer and planer, and save space.......Regards, Rod

Frank, the King and Shopfox jointers are likely going to be the same or very similar to the jointers at Busy Bee. If you want some hands on evaluation check them out. Also KMS tools has their own line of machinery now,I think it is "magnun". Again this will be equivalent or the same as your options. Not sure if you have access to these stores where you are located. Rod's advice is something I wish someone had told me . When I started down this road the only combination machine I had seen was a Makita side by side planer /jointer.

In Canada? I'd be looking for a nice used General.

No 8" jointer on Kijiji. I am in Montreal Quebec.

No 8" jointer on Kijiji. I am in Montreal Quebec. No used jointer planer neither. Cheapest I found was a Rikon 12" for ~3500$.

In Montreal or all of Quebec search for "dégauchisseuse"

French for jointer

Delta DJ-20 - 8 pouce listed
    Last edited by John Gornall; 01-05-2020 at 12:58 AM.

There's a Busy Bee 8" jointer listed on Ottowa Kijiji for $850 along with a whole lot of other woodworking stuff in an estate sale. Many tools, might be worth the drive.

Looking at Craft-x 8" from Busybee. Not sure if the helical head version (1949$) is worth the extra 450$ vs the 4 knife version (1499$).

My planer is 2 blade machine - so not sure how the helical jointer benefits me?

Any thoughts?

Frank most people would rather have a helical head in their planer first. Some want them everywhere. To me it makes no sense to have one in a jointer,this machine gives you a flat face and a square edge and is followed up by thicknessing on a planer. When I plane I flip the board and plane material from both sides approximately an even amount. So for me I would get the straight knife machine and invest in one set of good quality knives (HSS with 18% tungsten).

Thanks for your reply Mike. I was thinking the same thing...