Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for Spalted Maple

Blog Entries
    Steve and Don thanks for sharing pics of your work- really beautiful!🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Altman View Post
    I've been collecting spalted lumber for the last 30 years. I've bought stuff on Ebay, Hearne Hardwoods, Groff & Groff, NW Timber, all the usual suspects.
    Actually I meant the figured primary wood. I’ll check the sources you mentioned. I can’t get decent figured wood in my area. When it does pop up the purveyor seems to think it’s worth more than gold. Pro tip: it grows on trees.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

3. To each of you that commented on my boxes, thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Actually I meant the figured primary wood. I’ll check the sources you mentioned. I can’t get decent figured wood in my area. When it does pop up the purveyor seems to think it’s worth more than gold. Pro tip: it grows on trees.
    Sorry, I misunderstood.

I live in Northern NJ. Like, I guess, most people, I have two ways to buy hardwood - at a lumberyard that sells domestic hardwood and/or imported exotic woods, or, if only buying a little and shipping costs are not crazy, on the web.

For the former, Monteath Lumber, Williard Brothers, Groff & Groff, and Hearne Hardwoods are within reasonable(?) driving distance. Alderfer Lumber is a little further away, but the prices are great. I've heard very nice things about Irion Lumber.

For the latter, I usually use curlymaplewood.com for domestic "exotics" and Rare woods USA or Gilmer Wood for imported "exotics". RareWoods, USA is really the best place to buy pretty much any hardwood, domestic or exotic. It's an unbelievable place; you really have to see it in person to understand. Unfortunately (for me) they're quite a drive - they're in Mexico, Maine - which is a bit out of the way. They do sell online, but, though they try their best to have good photographs of a representative sample of the inventory, its an impossible task. Their inventory is just...ridiculous. And their prices are really good. If you ever find yourself in that area I'd heartily recommend a visit. You won't regret it.

Thanks everyone for the pictures and advice. I have some good ideas... now I just have to wait for it to dry