Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Shop Lighting Reference Material

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Land of Lincoln
    Posts
    1,170

    Shop Lighting Reference Material

    My shop will be fully lined and insulated in a few days and then the wiring phase can begin. Does anyone have any on line or otherwise places to find the recommendations for how many fixtures to plan for. I would rather be to bright that to dim. The shop is 30' by 56' with 14' ceilings. The ceilings and top 10' of wall are bright white. So there are good reflective qualities as well. I can do task specific lighting if I need extra lighting for layout or close work. I've searched a little online and there doesn't seem to be a specific formula that I am finding. I also want to avoid shadows if possible which I know going with to few ultra high output lights can lead to. I skimmed the threads and didn't see anything but that doesn't mean much. I want to use LED type fixtures.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Eagle, WI
    Posts
    18
    This post by Ken Fitzgerald provides valuable information:

    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content....y-Jack-Lindsey

    Peter

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mich View Post
    This post by Ken Fitzgerald provides valuable information:

    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content....y-Jack-Lindsey

    Peter
    That's an interesting article but unfortunately it is very dated. The last line of the 3rd paragraph is "Light emitting diodes (LED’s) are an emerging technology and are also omitted." Would love to hear the author's take on the current landscape of lighting options.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Schmidt View Post
    That's an interesting article but unfortunately it is very dated. The last line of the 3rd paragraph is "Light emitting diodes (LED’s) are an emerging technology and are also omitted." Would love to hear the author's take on the current landscape of lighting options.
    The most valuable takeaways from the article that are absolutely not dated are the sections:
    1. FUNDAMENTAL LIGHTING UNITS AND RELATIONSHIPS
    2. HOW MUCH LIGHT DO WE NEED?
    3. COLOR

    Based on these sections you should probably shoot for a lighting scheme that will provide at least an even 100 footcandles from 14 feet with a color temperature between 4100K and 5000K with the highest CRI you can find. If it were me I would put in 3 or 4 rows of 5000K LEDs spaced to give you the most even output taking into account the reflection off the walls modifies overall evenness.

  5. #5
    Here’s some basic info that might help:

    https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...id=28209076604

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Land of Lincoln
    Posts
    1,170
    One take away I got from the article was that I'm looking for at least 100 lumen per square foot. Which helps immensely. Now I'm weighing the advantages and disadvantages of high bay fixtures versus regular fixtures. I'm on the line with 14 feet ceilings.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    One take away I got from the article was that I'm looking for at least 100 lumen per square foot. Which helps immensely. Now I'm weighing the advantages and disadvantages of high bay fixtures versus regular fixtures. I'm on the line with 14 feet ceilings.
    100 lumens per square foot at working height. This means measured on you work surface. So if your lights are flush mounted to the ceiling they will be around 11 feet from the work surface. You can do the math using the inverse square law and calculate it or measure it with a light meter. Cheap meters are available on Amazon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    One take away I got from the article was that I'm looking for at least 100 lumen per square foot. Which helps immensely. Now I'm weighing the advantages and disadvantages of high bay fixtures versus regular fixtures. I'm on the line with 14 feet ceilings.
    Go High bay. I did it at 16' and super happy I did. I've not seen a shop as bright as mine. Its a dream to work in. Folks putting these costco and menard led $20 at 12' and then thinking how bright it is have ZERO idea what bright is. Just come on over is all I got to say.

    Mikie
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Crozet, VA
    Posts
    267
    In my new shop, I didn't want to use typical fluorescents due to a number of factors (e.g., vaulted ceiling), so I ended up using these super bright LED bulbs as part of the lighting solution. They are not inexpensive, but work in a standard fixture and put out a ton of light.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Land of Lincoln
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Go High bay. I did it at 16' and super happy I did. I've not seen a shop as bright as mine. Its a dream to work in. Folks putting these costco and menard led $20 at 12' and then thinking how bright it is have ZERO idea what bright is. Just come on over is all I got to say.

    Mikie
    Which style and output did you go with Mike? Menards? I'm certain one won't ever say I wish my shop wasn't so bright.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Which style and output did you go with Mike? Menards? I'm certain one won't ever say I wish my shop wasn't so bright.
    One's definition of "bright" changes with age. When I built my shop 10 years ago (about at about 40) I followed a FWW article on lighting. I put in a little less than they recommended and flipped on the switch and thought it was "blindingly bright" and had no idea why anyone would put in more light. Now at 50 I just think it is "bright". I'm sure at 60 I will think it is just right, and at 70 I'll probably start adding task lights

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Suffolk, Va.
    Posts
    208
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •