Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking to make noisy/irritating toy for 3 1/2 year old.

Buy them some coyote calls. Nothing like a three year old blowing at full bore on a' jack rabbit in distress' call. Works especially well when other siblings are similarly "armed".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dockstader View Post
    This has been the BEST THREAD EVER! I never knew that deep down inside woodworkers actually have a large sadistic streak. Or perhaps we are all grandparents who believe in karma! My daughter continuously says our curse is coming true, "May you have one exactly like you!"
    David, I don’t think of the replies as being sadistic. It’s just the woodworkers have particularly facile minds and like the mental exercise. I would never do any of these things but it’s a fun way to spend some creative brain cycles.

This thread is kind of funny to me. I have 2 granddaughters, 4 and 5 years old. The 5 year old is learning the piano. So I got to thinking about what to get them that would encourage them to find something in music that they might enjoy. So I got them each a Hohner Special 20 harmonica. Names engraved and all. They really liked them on X-mas morning and instantly began blowing the heck out of them. A week later when asked if they were having fun with their harmonicas, the answer I got was something like "Yea, when mom let's us play them"............................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    Time to start planning for next Christmas. There is a young fellow who will be 3 1/2 years old next Christmas. I am looking for ideas to make a noisy or irritating toy to give him. The ability to drive his parents nuts will be a plus. Any ideas?
    You are my kind of guy! I’d suggest a well crafted dovetailed box with a sliding lid that will hold a slide whistle (perhaps two) and a bell of some kind. A drum is a good second tier choice. Pair with oil based modeling clay or a selection of magic markers. Good times!
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Slit/tongue drums are fairly easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    David, I don’t think of the replies as being sadistic. It’s just the woodworkers have particularly facile minds and like the mental exercise. I would never do any of these things but it’s a fun way to spend some creative brain cycles.
    You could substitute a Pomeranian, but it wouldn't last as long. Kind of cruel to the parents, and whoever it eventually goes upstate to live with.

Keep it creative and simple...
    A chalkboard and extra hard chalk...
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.