Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shapton 30K, talk me out of it

Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
    Thanks again everyone for your input. To close the loop, you have talked me out of buying the 30K stone (at least for now anyway). Instead, I am using my Christmas gift money to buy a Lie Nielsen #164 low angle smooth plane. It's considerably cheaper and I suspect will be more useful!
    When I read threads like this I cannot help but think that the sharpness gets at the level of a razor. Then I give thought to how many shavings on timber it will take before you would be unable to shave the hair on your arm, 2, 3, 5, 10? For me a quick grind on the Tormek, a few strokes on a Shapton 4000 and it is sharp enough to continue my work. It takes me perhaps less than one minute to sharpen.

Spending a money on a smoothing plane is imho a far better investment.

Thanks again everyone for your input. To close the loop, you have talked me out of buying the 30K stone (at least for now anyway). Instead, I am using my Christmas gift money to buy a Lie Nielsen #164 low angle smooth plane. It's considerably cheaper and I suspect will be more useful!
    This calls for a four page thread discussing the merits of bevel up smoothers.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have owned the Shapton 30K stone for a long time, prob. 9 years.

What I have learned from sharpening is....no blanket answers. too many variables.
    what we need to consider is, how sharp do you need.... and how sharp of an edge can the metal hold? Not all metal created the same.

I use my stones mostly for plane blades. For that, the 30K stone is a luxury for sure. For A2, I would say, it works, BUT, A2 can NOT hold that sharp of an edge for long... a handful of strokes, and its back to 16K sharpness. So, not so great.

However, with PMV11, this is not true. PMV11 holds the 30K edge MUCH longer and the dull to 16K is gradual. So I use it all the time with my PMV11 blades, and love it....

I also noticed, that not all stones work ideally with all metals. For example, Shapton Prof. series stones, not so great with A2 and PMV11. But the HR series is superb, the metal melts like butter, a marriage made in heaven.

I agree with other posters as well, stropping rounds over the edge, not acceptable IMO for plane blades.

NOw, for kitchen knives, I think 30K is overkill. NOt many blades can benefit from level of sharpening, and almost none I tried can hold it. A few strokes on a wood board, and any benefts would be negated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    This calls for a four page thread discussing the merits of bevel up smoothers.
    I just might start another thread Rob! Received the LN 164 yesterday. Took it apart, cleaned it, waxed it and honed a secondary bevel (up to 16 K on my Shapton not 30K!) What a beautiful plane!

LN 164.jpg

I love my BU planes with A2 blades! I sharpen A2 blades with DMT plates and don't care about rouge diamonds! With a MKII guide no less! Did I mention windex?

David Sloan: your LN #164. The wood grain is really eye catching! The grain caught my eye immediately. Special order/request wood or did you just "luck out"??

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    David Sloan: your LN #164. The wood grain is really eye catching! The grain caught my eye immediately. Special order/request wood or did you just "luck out"??
    Just lucked out Ray. Nicer than the knobs and handles I made for the three other planes shown.31C24DA3-2953-411E-ADD6-4C687FA477C9.jpg

I just might start another thread Rob! Received the LN 164 yesterday. Took it apart, cleaned it, waxed it and honed a secondary bevel (up to 16 K on my Shapton not 30K!) What a beautiful plane!

LN 164.jpg
    Very nice! Have you used it yet? I've not seen a cutter adjustment quite like that before. Does it work well?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Very nice! Have you used it yet? I've not seen a cutter adjustment quite like that before. Does it work well?
    Rob, I have and love it. I was wondering about the adjustment wheel before I bought it because it is so unusual. I t works nicely though. The plane fits nicely in my hands and has a nice weight.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking plane David.

The #164 is likely one Lie-Nielsen plane costing less than its Stanley original.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)