Thread: Ridge TS2000 Super Combo 10" Blade?

Ridge TS2000 Super Combo 10" Blade?

I've been looking for a flat grind saw blade for cutting some box joints and came across the Ridge TS2000 Super Combo Blade that seems like a good fit. According to the manufacturer's description it can serve not only for ripping but crosscutting and also has teeth that are flat ground. I was about to purchase their full flat ground blade but the combo blade is tempting. Will it do as good a job as advertised for box cutting? Any other suggestions for a box cutting blade are appreciated.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 01-01-2020 at 11:38 AM.

Cutting box joints is essentially a rip cut so I would use my Freud Glue-Line Rip blade for that task. Although I started out using combo blades, I've settled on using rip and crosscut blades for their respective tasks. The results are superior over what I got with any combo blade including the Forrest Woodworker II that everyone recommends.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Cutting box joints is essentially a rip cut so I would use my Freud Glue-Line Rip blade for that task. Although I started out using combo blades, I've settled on using rip and crosscut blades for their respective tasks. The results are superior over what I got with any combo blade including the Forrest Woodworker II that everyone recommends.
    Of course a dedicated blade is best, combos are always compromises. The last time I did box joints on a tablesaw, I used a dado blade. But my joints were 1/2" wide. For 1/8" joints I've always used a FTG ripping blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I agree. The glueline rip blade is flat ground and exactly 1/8" wide.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not to hijack, but in other posts about saw blades I've seen the Freud glue line rip blade given high marks. I must have gotten one made on a Friday at 3:20 pm by a temp because I have never liked mine. It leaves saw marks so bad that the edge is "stringy". My Tenryu Gold and WW11 combo's both leave a far nicer edge on ripped material. They would not be good for box joints though as they are not flat ground tops. I wonder if Freud would take mine back even though I've owned it for several years as it has seen only a few dozen BF of lumber.

I typically use a dado stack for box joints, but the TS2000 is my default blade for both crosscutting and ripping. I make 80-90% of my cuts with it and it works great. I will occasionally swap it out for a dedicated rip blade when I know I will be doing lots of heavy ripping in thicker stock.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    I thought the Freud Glue Line Rip was a triple-chip grind(?). Do they leave a flat bottom?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ridge Carbide blades are excellent. I have several and they are the best blades I've used, in my experience better than the Forrest WWII, Freud, and others I've tried. For Box Joints the RC Super Combo with work as good or better than other any other combo blade. However, I do agree if you are particular about the box joints a true flat grind blade will give you the best result, like their Flat Top box joint blade. Ridge Carbide also has a very nice 8" finger joint blade set with two flat grind blades of different kerfs. You can use them alone or together in different combinations to make various size joints. On a side note, their ripping blades give me the best quality cut of any other similar blade I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I thought the Freud Glue Line Rip was a triple-chip grind(?). Do they leave a flat bottom?
    Good catch Glenn. I actually do not have the Freud "Glue Line Rip" blade as I mentioned in my first post. I have the Freud 24 tooth Rip blade which has a flat grind. I guess I bought it enough years ago that I have disregarded the distinction but I now remember buying that particular blade because I wanted a flat bottom for a project. Still a heck of a rip blade and I have glued up using the cut right off the saw.

..Now I'm wondering how much better of a cut the Glue Line Rip gives..
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 01-02-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have to say go for the ridge carbide comb blade. All combo blades will have some sort of small "vees" in the kerf because of the cross-cut teeth. Give Ridge a call, speak to the owner, John. He will steer you in the right direction. doing business with him for years...never a problem.