Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking resolutions for 2020

Woodworking resolutions for 2020

What is your woodworking resolution this year?

Like many I hope to do more projects.

From a woodworking hobby perspective, I hope to greatly increase my guitar building skills as well as further explore and learn 3D modeling skills for my CNC work. From a woodworking business perspective, I hope to land some even more interesting subcontract work as well as expand some of the things I do with existing customers, including some soft metal work in conjunction with wood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2020 resolution; Spend less time reading about woodworking and do more woodworking.

With this new job I’m gonna get back to methodical calm planned well thought out execution as apposed to auto pilot and just doing. I’m gonna let go of being worried about production and get back to where my heart lay and what brought me to woodworking in the first place. Quality over quantity and the expectation of perfection of myself each and everytime.

At least that’s what I’m gonna shoot for. It’s definitely not what I did last year.

Get the production equipment set up, moulders, gang rip, SLR, resaw, double planer, facer, moulding sanders, widebelts, etc. Also the millwork room, grinding room, machine shop..... ok it may spill over to 2021. Lol

Learn how to master the tools I already own and not buy tools on a whim that wind up collecting dust in the shop.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Now that I've retired, I resolve to get that first commissioned project. I almost had it a couple weeks ago, but I had to decline when diagnosed with a rotator cuff tear. Didn't want to take on a project knowing I was staring at surgery and rehab in January/February. I also want to get some pieces of my own original design on the market and sold.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Get in the shop 30-60 minutes 5 days a week. More would be great, if time permits, but consistently getting in the shop is my goal

Switch to Metric.

Build 14 windows of Plantation Shutters, I've been procrastinating for 2 months now, lumber is just sitting there, reminding me, every time I walk into my garage.

Hopefully, buy a new, full size, lathe.

Keep learning, you guys are wonderful source of information and talent.

In the words of Freddie Mercury, "I thank you All".

Finish the projects I've started. Design a new butterfly extension table for the wife, design chairs to go with the table and build same. Drive to Walla Walla to personally verify a new potential hardwood source. Learn to make and use more templates.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Clean my shop. SWMBO says that's the only way I can get the CNC I want. Of course, her white glove inspection tops anything I ever endured in the military. So we'll see if I get it clean enough.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by David Dockstader View Post
    Clean my shop. SWMBO says that's the only way I can get the CNC I want. Of course, her white glove inspection tops anything I ever endured in the military. So we'll see if I get it clean enough.
    Dude....why are you wasting time typing that out here instead of wielding a broom out in the shop? There's a CNC at play here!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finish my shop and then hopefully as Richard said; spend more time doing than reading about doing...
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Don’t cut off anything that isn’t supposed to be cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Don’t cut off anything that isn’t supposed to be cut off.
    That was exactly what I was thinking!
    1: pray for wisdom, think carefully about every single operation
    2: teach safe methods to every student and shop visitor
    3: introduce as many young and old to the joy of creating something

My first session of the new year with a near-beginner at the lathe is this Saturday! This will be her third experience. I have another next week, old acquaintance, father of four.

JKJ