Thread: First Post: Beginner woodworker questions.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Post: Beginner woodworker questions.

Happy New Years all!

I've always wanted to get into woodworking, but as a career navy submariner I just never had the time or space for it. I'm out now, and I have lots of both and i'm a new first time homeowner with lots of projects to do. I've been reading a lot and watching a ton of youtube videos, and I've done a few simple projects. I made shelving units for my garage, a mud room bench/coat hanger, pantry built in shelves and a coffee table for the living room. They've turned out pretty well for my skill level and materials/tools. (Made the wife happy at least)

Building the coffee table really sparked something in me, and I think furniture building might be something I'm really interested in learning more about. I'd really like to get to the point where I could make a reasonably refined dining room table. (One piece smooth finish) No interest in making a living from wood working, but it'd be nice if the hobby could pay for itself someday.

I'm looking for some help with my next tool purchase. I'm not low budget, but I don't want to waste money on tools I don't really need yet.

My current tools: Circular Saw, Miter Saw, Dremel, Osc Sander, Power drills, mechanics set (ratchets, etc), a few random chisels and punches, kreg set.

I feel inclined to go for a table saw next, but I've read that some people find more use from a band saw. I'm not really picky, I just wasn't sure which one would be more useful given my goals. I'm not against hand tools either, but I blew out my shoulder in the Navy and so I'd like to use a little of both power and hand. I'm usually pretty sore after a few hours of working in the shop.

I've been looking at the Grizzly G0833p, it seems like a reasonable compromise between power/features/affordability and portability (I'll have to move it in place when I need it). I also have a co-worker that is willing to sell me his old G1022 tablesaw and a G1182z 6" jointer for around 300 bucks for both. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but he takes good care of his tools. I know the G1022 is an older, contractor saw with a crappy fence, but for 150 bucks it might be a good start? My concern here was the lack of replacement part availability, and lack of riving knife. I understand some common sense can help avoid kickback and other issues, but it'd be nice to have some backup since i'm still learning.

Just wanted to tap on some experience out there before I spent any more money, my wife only lets me have so much $ for new toys.

Thanks!

Phil
    Last edited by PHILIP MACHIN; 12-31-2019 at 10:19 PM.