Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full size Lathes with mobile base capability

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Chris - I always wanted to weld so a mobile base for my PM 3520B was the perfect project. I found another Creeker that made one too and he was an experienced welder so was very helpful. I used my 2D drafting program to get the geometry correct and made a full size wood sample to make sure it would work:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ighlight=3520b
    Just checked out your build thread for the first time since you posted it. Wow, has that really been four years since you did that?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Someone on this thread recommended the HF 1000# lift table (https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...art-69148.html) - with their 25% off coupon it is just over $200.

I got this when I first bought my lathe (Laguna 2436) and used it to aid in putting the lathe together alone. Now I keep it under the ways and pull it out every time I turn to use it as a tool table, as well as on the rare occasion that I need to move my lathe. For these uses it works very easily, though probably not as convenient as casters if you are moving your lathe every time you turn.

Tom
    Interesting to note that the lift table that was around $250 in 2020 is $369 today.

I have the mobility kit for my 18/36. It works great and adds a bit of weight as the assemblies are cast iron. The kit does require extra "length" once attached (if space is a concern).

I have a Jet 1642 and just used some double locking casters (stem type).
    Never had an issue. This also put the spindle height up to where I needed it.
    Caster.jpg

Well, all sorts of ways to do it. The double locking casters like on the Jet, don't seem to be in the way for turning if you slide the headstock down to the end of the lathe for bowl turning like I do. The ones for Laguna look to be seriously in the way, but I did one demo on one and shall we say, "I could get used to it." I don't like to move my lathes around. The reason is that if I move it, I have to relevel it. I did do a demo once where they bought the lathe in from a store room onto a gym floor. One foot on the lathe was left a bit shorter than the others, and they drove a cedar wedge like used in carpentry for shimming out doors and windows, and drove it under the one foot that was short. That worked really well. I do have outlines on my concrete floors for where each lathe is supposed to go so if any of them start to walk around, I can move them back to where all 4 feet are solid on the ground.

robo hippy