Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full size Lathes with mobile base capability

Full size Lathes with mobile base capability

I currently have a Oneway 1224, which is my first lathe and only lathe I have owned.

I would like a little more over the bed capacity and have decided to move up to a lathe with a minimum of 18". I don't think my budget can stretch to a 20" or larger tool.

I put wheels on my 1224, so when I use it, I can roll it out and roll it away for storage.

I'm leaning towards a Laguna 18-36 as this does have the wheel option, but can't seem to find many other brands that show a mobility kit being available.

Just like to make sure I'm not missing out on something else as I'm still very green in my knowledge of the larger lathes.

Thanks.

I found the Lift-Lock and Roll Away, which looks like that would work for Powermatic and probably could be modified to work with others.

Robust Sweet 16 has a caster kit, Oneway 1640 has a wheel set. Pretty sure both of those let you turn on the outside for your 18" requirement.

When I do turning demos in clubs I see lathes moved a lot. None of them have used an official mobility option. I've seen some clever solutions that someone in the club designed and built and didn't look like they required a big investment. The best solutions jack the lathe up for moving with levers or cranks but set it solidly on the floor for use. Most of the club lathes are Powermatic 3520b or Jet 1642 but you could build something for any lathe out there. If you are interested I could try to dig up a contact or two.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I currently have a Oneway 1224, which is my first lathe and only lathe I have owned.

I would like a little more over the bed capacity and have decided to move up to a lathe with a minimum of 18". I don't think my budget can stretch to a 20" or larger tool.

I put wheels on my 1224, so when I use it, I can roll it out and roll it away for storage.

I'm leaning towards a Laguna 18-36 as this does have the wheel option, but can't seem to find many other brands that show a mobility kit being available.

Just like to make sure I'm not missing out on something else as I'm still very green in my knowledge of the larger lathes.

Thanks.

I made a set of retractable casters for a Jet 1642-2 about 10 years ago. The lathe is about 450 lbs and they still work like new. I know of two folks who did the same to their PM3520 and a large Grizzly and said they do the job. Pics posted on this forum https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-for-Nova-1644 in reply #7.
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks, that may just be the ticket.

I joined the Tennessee Wood Turning Association, a couple of weeks ago. They have their monthly meeting next Tuesday, so that'll be my first. I'll have lots of questions for them.

Chris - I always wanted to weld so a mobile base for my PM 3520B was the perfect project. I found another Creeker that made one too and he was an experienced welder so was very helpful. I used my 2D drafting program to get the geometry correct and made a full size wood sample to make sure it would work:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ighlight=3520b

Dick Mahany was kind enough to send me his planes for his lathe lift system. I built it to fit my Laguna 18/36 and could not be happier. It cost a minimal amount of money since I already had most of the parts. I may have spent $25 at best. Love his idea and it works great.
    Thanks again Dick
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

The Robust lathes have a nice all thread screw jack, simple but effective, and then you put wheels on it. The wheels come off when you lower it back down. I have seen the Laguna wheel set up, which is bolted on. If you turn off the end of the lathe, they are in the way. I have heard of using a motorcycle jack to go under some lathes. I keep thinking about how I would make one for my Vicmarc lathe. When I asked them about one their comment was some thing like 'once you have it in place, why would you ever want to move it?' I moved it by myself by using a couple of the 4 wheel mover platforms, and a 4 by 4 to lever it up and down. I still think there needs to be a better system that would fit most lathes.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Dick Mahany was kind enough to send me his planes for his lathe lift system. I built it to fit my Laguna 18/36 and could not be happier. It cost a minimal amount of money since I already had most of the parts. I may have spent $25 at best. Love his idea and it works great.
    Thanks again Dick
    Yes, Dick sent me the pdf this morning. That looks like the way I'll go regardless of the lathe I buy.

The Laguna 18-36 was number one on my radar, with the wheel kit and bed extension, which adds $1000 on to the cost of the lathe, but saving $500 on the wheel kit, I might be able to spring for the 24-36.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Chris - I always wanted to weld so a mobile base for my PM 3520B was the perfect project. I found another Creeker that made one too and he was an experienced welder so was very helpful. I used my 2D drafting program to get the geometry correct and made a full size wood sample to make sure it would work:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ighlight=3520b
    Just read that thread. Now you've got me thinking. I did two welding classes back around 2004, hobbyist stuff, did stick and Tig welding. I promptly bought myself a Lincoln 180. I've used it once in all these years, but maybe it's time to dust it off.

Still Dick's method is probably safer and easier for me to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    The Robust lathes have a nice all thread screw jack, simple but effective, and then you put wheels on it. The wheels come off when you lower it back down. I have seen the Laguna wheel set up, which is bolted on. If you turn off the end of the lathe, they are in the way. I have heard of using a motorcycle jack to go under some lathes. I keep thinking about how I would make one for my Vicmarc lathe. When I asked them about one their comment was some thing like 'once you have it in place, why would you ever want to move it?' I moved it by myself by using a couple of the 4 wheel mover platforms, and a 4 by 4 to lever it up and down. I still think there needs to be a better system that would fit most lathes.

robo hippy
    Here is what I did on my Robust American Beauty. I took the hook thing off of the Robust screw jack and put it on a Harbor Freight trolley jack. Makes jacking the lathe up to install / remove the wheels much faster.

Here are a few pictures. The first one shows the hook mounted on the trolley jack. The bolt goes through a bronze bearing that is just slightly longer than the hook so that the hook can swivel freely.

trollyjack1.jpg

The picture below shows the trolley jack with the hook engaging the lifting point on the apron at the tailstock end of the lathe. The remnants of the old screw jack can be seen in the upper right.

trollyjack2.jpg

The picture below is a close up showing the hook engaging the apron.

trollyjack2a.jpg

When I bought the trolley jack a few years ago it was $29 and it only weighs 20 pounds. The only other things that you need are:

• 3½" L X ½" D grade 5 hex head bolt
    • Flat washer -- ½" ID X 1" OD
    • 3 bronze bearings -- ½" ID X ¾" OD X 1" L (one of them will be cut to slightly less than ⅝" L)
    • ½" nylon insert low profile stop nut

One of the bronze bearings will be trimmed to about ⅝" long. The exact length is determined by trial and error ... when the bolt is tightened the hook should be able to rotate freely with minimal axial play.

View showing low profile stop nut. There isn't enough clearance for a regular height nut when the jack is in the stowed position.

trollyjack3.jpg

View of the modification.

trollyjack4.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 01-01-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    Bill

Someone on this thread recommended the HF 1000# lift table (https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...art-69148.html) - with their 25% off coupon it is just over $200.

I got this when I first bought my lathe (Laguna 2436) and used it to aid in putting the lathe together alone. Now I keep it under the ways and pull it out every time I turn to use it as a tool table, as well as on the rare occasion that I need to move my lathe. For these uses it works very easily, though probably not as convenient as casters if you are moving your lathe every time you turn.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Yes, Dick sent me the pdf this morning. That looks like the way I'll go regardless of the lathe I buy.

The Laguna 18-36 was number one on my radar, with the wheel kit and bed extension, which adds $1000 on to the cost of the lathe, but saving $500 on the wheel kit, I might be able to spring for the 24-36.
    I have the Laguna 24-36, comparing the 18-36 to the 24-36 is interesting. I thought the 18-36 was a reasonably sized lathe, until I received my 24-36. The 18-36 felt like a midi sized lathe when I turned on one a few weeks ago, I don't think you would regret getting the 24-36.

The bed extension really makes the lathe, it makes my 24-36 super versatile.

I have the wheel kit, but what you are proposing would be very good. The wheel size on the Laguna wheel kit is a situation where, bigger wheel size is better. I just measured mine, they are about 100mm diameter (almost 4"). Compared to another machine I have on 75mm wheels, these are brilliant. The 24-36 is quite heavy when fully kitted out, bigger wheels really help. Before I put anything on the lathe, it is around 300kg (660lbs).

Mick.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I made a set of retractable casters for a Jet 1642-2 about 10 years ago. The lathe is about 450 lbs and they still work like new. I know of two folks who did the same to their PM3520 and a large Grizzly and said they do the job. Pics posted on this forum https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-for-Nova-1644 in reply #7.
    Hi Dick, are the plans still available for your retractable casters design? I have a Powermatic 3520C lathe that needs wheels.
    Thank you,
    Stephen