Thread: Imperial to Metric

Imperial to Metric

So after many pages of a recent thread, which I posted in, I have set a New Decades Resolution to convert to using m(&)m's.

In this process, I have started buying a few, right now, fairly cheap measuring tools, Starrett stuff will come later (I hope).

One nice surprise today was a pair of Shinwa Stainless steel, non glare, rulers. I bought a 300mm ($11) and 600mm ruler ($25). One nice feature was that they both had all sorts of conversion information laser etched on the back side of the rulers.

I notice in the lighting threads they all talk about degrees Kelvin. No mention of C or F or anything else. For the surface of the sun they use either C or F as if it really matters at 10,000 degrees which one you are using.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I notice in the lighting threads they all talk about degrees Kelvin. No mention of C or F or anything else. For the surface of the sun they use either C or F as if it really matters at 10,000 degrees which one you are using.
    Bil lD.
    It only matters when you use the temperature in a calculation.

Both F And C scales have a zero in the ranges often used, as well as negative values.

Kelvin makes it easier in that aspect.

Of course if I stick my thumb on something that’s 3:00 degrees, it doesn’t matter if it’s K, C of F.kn

Happy New Year, have fun with your switch to metric, I did the same thing 20 years ago......Regards, Rod

I absolutely love M&Ms. Both the candy and the measuring system.

When I started to convert a year and a half ago, it was the same steps as you are taking, getting some more measuring tools. Fortunately, the steel rules I had from Lee Valley were already dual scale, which honestly is a good thing for me since some client work requires Imperial. FOr my Starrett adjustable squares, I obtained alternative rules (from Lee Valley actually) and I picked up a metric tape for good measure. (pardon the pun) Only my personal work or work where I set the specifications is strictly metric in my shop. My tools were already inherently metric...SCM/MiniMax and Festool...and my CNC doesn't really care. The one machine I need to deal with is my new-to-me drum sander and I'm going to put the DRO on it for dual system support. Those rules you picked up are really nice...I've had them on my "wish list" for a long time for metric only use as having the same scale on both sides solves some situations where dual-system can be physically cumbersome when taking a measurement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought 8 of these for Xmas gifts.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F150677678094
    Never need batteries, and accurate.

My unsolicited advise, just switch. Conversions suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I bought 8 of these for Xmas gifts.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F150677678094
    Never need batteries, and accurate.
    I may pick up one of those, Myk, for general shop use. I need the digital for my CNC work but for many other things, the dial would work great.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...