Thread: Norton hb6 hard Arkansas question

Norton hb6 hard Arkansas question

My father has a new in box Norton HB 6 Hard Arkansas Stone. The stone also says Bear beans on it. I do not know if he purchased the stone or if it predates him.

I took pictures but cannot as by phone at the moment.

The stone is :

6 x 2 bench stone.
    White mostly.
    Maybe translucent ( my flashlight shines through it but not well).

When I go looking for this stone it looks like some people are selling them as calling them ultra-fine...

I assumed that if this was a translucent it would say something now than just "hard". Does HB6 provide more granularity than Arkansas Stone?

Trying to figure out what this really is...

A picture of the stone, out of the box might help.

I've got a translucent hard Arkie - it duplicates stropping.
    The Lily White Arkansas is my last stone before stropping.

Stone out of the box

IMG_20191231_222229.jpg

IMG_20191231_222303.jpg

I am just thrown because the stone itself says hard Arkansas, and I expected the stone to be labeled something else because it looks to me like it would be finer than a standard hard Arkansas Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    yeah cuz they call it ultra fine, which seems like it would not just be hard because most places seem to call hard medium.

That looks to be a newer version of exactly the same Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    yeah cuz they call it ultra fine, which seems like it would not just be hard because most places seem to call hard medium.

That looks to be a newer version of exactly the same Stone
    Andrew, it is the same product number, and I thought the specs they list there might help answer some of your questions. How it compares to the Dan's categories, I am not sure. It looks like a pretty good stone though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Andrew, it is the same product number, and I thought the specs they list there might help answer some of your questions. How it compares to the Dan's categories, I am not sure. It looks like a pretty good stone though.
    Yes for sure.. and I appreciate the link.

I think it is the same Stone.

Blog Entries
    Can anyone explain how this stone is somehow four dimensional?

Four Dimensional Stone?.png

Would that help sharpening in cannel gouges?

Could the HB6 just be Hard Bench 6 inch?

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-01-2020 at 2:33 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Can anyone explain how this stone is somehow four dimensional?

jtk
    Things that aren't 4 dimensional are difficult to see, if you're not paying attention. The fancies of you g people, for an example.

Here one moment, gone the next.

There is no standard labeling for Arkansas stones, each manufacturer uses its own labels. Check out this web site https://www.danswhetstone.com/inform...ne-grades-101/. It looks like a very nice stone, I imagine one would use it as the last step in sharpening a blade, have you used it yet? are you planning on making a wooden box for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    There is no standard labeling for Arkansas stones, each manufacturer uses its own labels. Check out this web site https://www.danswhetstone.com/inform...ne-grades-101/. It looks like a very nice stone, I imagine one would use it as the last step in sharpening a blade, have you used it yet? are you planning on making a wooden box for it?
    It is still new in box and at my Father's house. He would certainly give it to me if I asked for it; and I may. I was just surprised when I realized what I thought that it was (did you follow that?).

I will probably eventually give it a try. I have numerous stones at my house so it is a good thing to keep something at his house so that if I need to sharpen something when I visit him. I currently own Arkansas stones from Dans', Best, and Preyda.

At this link (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....rkansas-Stones) I have a list of the supposed grades for the three I mentioned. On the other hand, it seems that even on Dan's site, which appears to be the most honest about what you get, there seems to be some inconsistency in their usage; I noticed this a few days ago. If I really was interested in what I was looking at, I would have just called them; I found Dan's to be very pleasant on the phone.

Forgot to add that I am planning on building a couple of boxes for stones, but not for that one just yet, and not a huge priority for me since I have wooden boxes for the the seven large stones that I have and then a common carrying box for the four preyda stones that I own.

I have read that Norton is careful about grading their stones. But I'm shocked at the high price shown in that link.
    Never seen anything like that.

I have 2 HB8 stones (one in 2 pieces thanks to a mishap) and they are translucent in my opinion. If your Dad will gift it to you you won’t be disappointed in it. And Norton is very proud of these stones money wise.
    Joe