Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shop renovation time?

shop renovation time?

I have the majority of a 2 car garage dedicated to my shop. I am thinking it is time to rethink the placement of tools.

here is an old video of what I have:

funny to see not much has changed in 12 years. I tend to spend my shop time building furniture rather than shop projects. having said that I am thinking 2020 will be the year I renovate the shop.

second video coming with current state and what I could change.

here is the current shop (fyi one handed typing is way easier with no caps):

So I up for some creative ideas on placement. right now it all works, but some tools need to be moved to be used and it is not ideal.

what I like:

-full outfeed table
    -central table saw
    -lots of storage (I don't need more drawers)
    -power and air in workbench
    -large workbench / assembly area
    -mitre saw station with fence
    -wood storage
    -jointer with lots of indeed and outfeed room
    -lathe placement (it does not need to be central) also it could moved off wheels as it never moves

don't like
    -rolling out planer (would like a more permanent set up)
    -drill press awkward to use
    -band saw not central
    -router table needs BS and bikes to be moved to use
    -workbench top needs to be upgraded to something really flat

okay could not help but play around:

moved the bandsaw and it now in my "work zone".

moved from here:

IMG_5886.jpg

to here:

IMG_5123.jpg

seems like this simple move will work well. it still allows a 32" TS rip without having to move the BS.

maybe I should move the planer into the old gap???

okay - simple solution for the drill press. the base and post are somewhat confined and can't be turned, but the head will rotate on the post if I loosen the hex nuts. simple- done. the base is massive enough that having the head off centre has no effect on the balance. this simple move, forward, and move to the left gave way better access.

IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_6701.jpg
    Last edited by jeff norris 2011; 01-01-2020 at 11:07 AM.

The very first place to spend some time here is to think about how the workflow for your projects has either worked for you or caused issues relative to any "rearrangement". Don't move things around just for the sake of moving them around. This is ultimately something that only you can really ascertain because you as an individual woodworker will have your own methods and patterns for how you move through the different steps of a project. Sometimes only a minor adjustment of major tool placement will kick workflow up a whole bunch...depending on your own habits and project types.

Storage is a similar question to consider: what works well with how you have things setup and what is cumbersome. Are there some things, such as material, that is hard to get to/access? Are the things you use the most readily accessible to your project workspace? (tools, hardware, adhesives, etc.)

I've changed things around in my shop a few times since I started to put the current one together in 2000. At first, it was to accommodate new stuff, etc., but over time, any changes I made were directly the result of trying to improve workflow and gain space for things like assembly and finishing while reducing any feeling of being cramped. Changes to storage were for both organization and accessibility. In some cases, gaining space (by moving my lumber storage...now including "shorts") upstairs came with the downside of less accessibility. It's a balancing act!

But with 12 years under your belt, there are likely some things that you can readily identify that have been niggling at you to make adjustments I'm sure. Your list above is a helpful start with considering changes...but remember, they all have to work together, too. Available space may still require you to keep some things in the "tool corral" but hopefully, those are things that you use less frequently. That's why I'm always adamant that work flow is the key.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-01-2020 at 9:48 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jeff, here was my similar process in a 2 car garage. Maybe something in here will be of help. Good luck as my shop is still evolving around my own space and workflow/uses.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ion&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The very first place to spend some time here is to think about how the workflow for your projects has either worked for you or caused issues relative to any "rearrangement". Don't move things around just for the sake of moving them around. This is ultimately something that only you can really ascertain because you as an individual woodworker will have your own methods and patterns for how you move through the different steps of a project. Sometimes only a minor adjustment of major tool placement will kick workflow up a whole bunch...depending on your own habits and project types.

Storage is a similar question to consider: what works well with how you have things setup and what is cumbersome. Are there some things, such as material, that is hard to get to/access? Are the things you use the most readily accessible to your project workspace? (tools, hardware, adhesives, etc.)

I've changed things around in my shop a few times since I started to put the current one together in 2000. At first, it was to accommodate new stuff, etc., but over time, any changes I made were directly the result of trying to improve workflow and gain space for things like assembly and finishing while reducing any feeling of being cramped. Changes to storage were for both organization and accessibility. In some cases, gaining space (by moving my lumber storage...now including "shorts") upstairs came with the downside of less accessibility. It's a balancing act!

But with 12 years under your belt, there are likely some things that you can readily identify that have been niggling at you to make adjustments I'm sure. Your list above is a helpful start with considering changes...but remember, they all have to work together, too. Available space may still require you to keep some things in the "tool corral" but hopefully, those are things that you use less frequently. That's why I'm always adamant that work flow is the key.
    Thanks for the food for thought. I set up this shop originally 18 years ago. In the first few years it evolved rapidly as I acquired tools and then unfortunately had to rebuy tools as I cheaped out. I went from bench top saw, to contractor saw, to unisex in the matter of 2 years . little jointer crap jointer to big guy, 14" bandsaw to 17" etc.

I never really "thought out" my shop, it just sort of happened. And my shop time has been focused on building for outside the shop. Already just stopping to think about it fir a day or two has yielded some great ways to make things better.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Jeff, here was my similar process in a 2 car garage. Maybe something in here will be of help. Good luck as my shop is still evolving around my own space and workflow/uses.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ion&highlight=
    Yes very similar, it looks like you have a bit more room though. I am happily stuck with a common area on one wall. I don't mind it as I take over that wall for larger projects.

Your bandsaw setup looks like my new plan, how does that work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff norris 2011 View Post
    Yes very similar, it looks like you have a bit more room though. I am happily stuck with a common area on one wall. I don't mind it as I take over that wall for larger projects.

Your bandsaw setup looks like my new plan, how does that work for you?
    which time? LOL

i think it was in 3 or 4 different locations during that thread.

I went from bench top saw, to contractor saw, to unisex in the matter of 2 years .
    I don't think that any of those saws really care about how their plumbing is arranged...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    which time? LOL

i think it was in 3 or 4 different locations during that thread.
    I am never sure if the wheels on tools are a blessing or curse.

I was taking abut the BS at the end of the TS wing

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't think that any of those saws really care about how their plumbing is arranged...
    Now that is funny - seems that my computer wants to auto correct unisaw

Now that is funny - seems that my computer wants to auto correct unisaw
    Right-click on the word spelled correctly to add it to the dictionary that spell check uses.
    --

I am never sure if the wheels on tools are a blessing or curse.

I was taking abut the BS at the end of the TS wing
    I actually liked it there but wouldn’t fit once I added other changes. I have a ton of stuff packed into my 22x20 space. Most is always functional and once I back my golf cart out I can put the carriage on my slider and handle full with sheet goods. Anyway I’ve been chasing the perfect payout in small space and am constantly tweaking. I just added a 2x3 CNC machine recently and am also in progress of getting a miter saw station back in. Even though most are on wheels I don’t move my machines around and have them plumbed to dust collection.

here is a weird pano picture of current space.
    C438778E-02B6-471D-87C2-35FE2D53C80A.jpeg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-02-2020 at 5:43 PM.