Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need bracket mounting advice for table

No Eric, you do not suck at chisels. You only think you suck at chisels and are therefore determined to prove your ownself correct. You only need one chisel, and the width of that chisel is not critical. If you would be able to somehow mangle your fingers, OK then, I stand corrected and you do suck at chisels. Surely someone nearby will show up to your shop with a chisel and make you do it without any mangleization taking place. All joking aside, it really should be easy to do with a chisel and lots quicker than setting up a router sled or bridge but I do understand your reluctance at this stage. IMO, using a chisel for rudimentary tasks is a skill that should eventually be a part of your skill set without throwing yourself into full blown Neanderthal mode.
    David

Just because I know people like to see pictures. Here's the mirror that I'm going to be mounting. After I rewire it in parallel instead of series.

Mirror.jpg

If You have a drill press you could use a Forstner bit to level out just the back edge of the table top. This is assuming that you can support the top on the drill press table. If so, overlapping cuts with a forstner bit cleaned up with any sharp chisel should work nicely for creating a flat reference surface that will mostly be covered up anyway.

Dan

Thank-you everyone for the advice! In the end the bottom ended up not being as much trouble as I'd worried. It was indeed not flat, but at least the lack of flat was uniform across the length of the table. I ended up using a router with a bridge to take out some of the irregularity and the brackets sat in practically the right position without much fuss.

Vanity.jpg

I still hate the legs though. I ended up just buying them at Lowes because I wasn't sure how to approach doing them myself. Unfortunately, the giftee is so thrilled with it as is, I doubt I'd be able to pry it away from her to do something else about the legs at a later date. I may have to just talk her into letting me throw some stain on them so at least they don't stand out so much.