Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rosewood dining table

That is beautiful. I would ditch the lazy Susan and highlight the center. That is one of the best parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Thanks for all the nice compliments. The circular inlay I used a vacuum jig from micro fence with a plunge router. Don’t need it often but when I do it’s about the only thing that will work. The base has three legs (?). I’m try to post a pic looking down on top of the base but not having much luck. I’m using my phone.
    I had to make I think 5 different patterns for the shaper for all the curved parts. The panels on the base are veneer as is the table and lazy susan tops and the bottom 4” of the base is wenge veneer with bent laminations for the curved parts. Finally got the pic to show.
    The curved faces of the legs are shop sawn 3/32 veneer and the center column is 7/8” solid. The legs taper from 4-3/4 at the face to 4 at the column.
    I got the solid stock from Hearne hardwoods and Jim Becker was nice enough to make a road trip to pick it out for me. Thanks so much Jim. Hope you don’t mind me mentioning you.
    Nearly forgot. To attach top to base I used a circular piece of 1/4” steel plate with counter sunk holes. You can see the threaded inserts in the top of the base.
    Steve — That is exceptional work. How many radial veneer segments in the top?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Jim, The next time I need some wood could I have you get it for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Do you want Jim to select it or select and pay for it?
    LOL...I can sometime be incented to select...which is basically spending someone else's money. Steve is a long-time friend who I've even visited with during business travel over the years. He knew I lived close to the one source in the country that actually had what he needed "right then" and I was happy to help. But this thread is about his amazing craftsmanship...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow!, beautiful job.

Thanks again everyone. It’s definitely one I’m proud of. There are 24 leaves in the top. As to the lazy susan the homeowner ( not my wife) said she loves the look with it in place. It may have something to do with the fact that it is 41” in diameter made with a 3/4” Baltic birch core and 2-1/2” x 1-3/4” thick edge so not exactly light. A 2 person job to put it on and take it off. Maybe after the holidays are over and they aren’t using it every day that might change. Both the table and the lazy susan have an undercut curved bevel.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Steve, is there a pin or something to locate and contain the lazy Susan in the center?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No pin but the inner diameter of the ebony inlay is the same as the lazy susan. I put soft rubber pads on the bottom of it so it won’t slide around when you turn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Do you want Jim to select it or select and pay for it?

No Ken. I would gladly pay for wood of that quality. But then where does one find wood of that quality?

I think Jim might be holding out on us in that department.

Just kidding Jim, I didn't mean to put you on the spot.

Clearly that took a while but totally worth it! What better than the family gathering place to appreciate it.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Steve,
    Outstanding design with a great attention to the details (It even plays well to the wall mounted sideboard).

Superb use of materials.

Great execution, craftsmanship.

One of the finest pieces ever posted here.

Mahalo for sharing and inspiring us to raise our standards - Bill

Stunning, completely awesome

Fantastic grain matching and great idea for the inlay as a guide for placement of the lazy susan. Thanks for sharing!
    Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Amazing table Steve. I have to assume that it's veneer, or expansion would tear it apart right?

Thanks again for all the compliments. It is veneer with a solid edge.

Beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing. Do you mind saying where you source the veneer? I’m planning a smaller top table, but having a difficult time finding a source for smaller packs of sequential sheets with more than 6.