Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylor toolworks customer support?

Taylor toolworks customer support?

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a negative experience with Taylor tool works? They charged me a 50% "restocking fee" for sending back some tool rests that were advertised as 1" yet would not fit in a 1" banjo post. They said because I opened the plastic bags they were in (two had been opened and taped shut). That they could not resell them and nailed me for a 50% restocking fee. When I contacted Robert Sorby customer service; they said there was a 100% money back guarantee and I should not have been charged if they did not fit. They are now giving me the run around and telling me "so and so will call you on Monday" No call of course. This was the sorby multi tool rest system.
    I am not amused.
    Where did I put those band aids?

If you used a credit card call them and see if they can reverse the charge. Or if they are an authorized Sorby dealer ask Sorby if they can contact them.

Yikes. I wonder if they know customers will post such experiences and thousands of people will read about them. Can't be good for business...

You should be able to get the full refund. I would contact your credit card company. I have had similar experiences in the past and my credit card company (Chase VISA) has always helped me out.
    David

I did notice that their refund policy indicates that they may charge a restocking fee for items that have been opened.

"
    Refund policy

You may return most new, unopened items within 15 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
    Items must be returned in their original, new, unopened packaging. If the return is a result of our error we will cover the return shipping. If the return is not a result of our error the buyer will be responsible for return shipping. A restocking fee may apply."

https://taytools.com/policies/refund-policy

If his banjo is truly 1 inch and the post is to big that sounds like a defective part not an average return. Only way your going to find that out is by opening the package.

In that case, I would think they would just replace the defective part at no charge.
    David

Seems strange Sorby sells rests that don't fit a proper banjo.
    - What kind of lathe do you have?
    - What does your banjo measure at?
    - What did the Sorbys measure at?
    - What do your existing rests measure at?

Some Grizzly (and other) lathes reportedly use a 25mm post, not a true 1 inch....

Sounds like the banjo is actually 25mm, not 1 inch. About 0.02 inch too small. I had this issue and drilled the banjo out with a 1 in drill. I would guess the tool rest is made with 1 in bar stock and unlikely to be too big.

Couple things come to mind.
    1. Any way I cut it, a 50% restocking fee for an item like this is far too high. They could easily put it in a new, sealed plastic wrapper and resell. A cheap way to do it is with a "seal-a-meal" type machine you buy for the kitchen.I have even seen original packaging that is a heavyweight ziplock bag with a staple in it.
    2. Unfortunately, it isn't Taylor Tool's "fault" if your banjo isnt a true 1". If it isnt 1", they didnt falsely advertise.
    3. But Sorby's 100% satisfaction guarantee should cover the fact that your banjo isnt a true 1 inch. Since you already returned it, invoking that will be harder. I'd call them back and ask if there's a way to somehow take advantage of that now. If not, I'd dispute the charges with VISA and negotiate a much-reduced restock fee.

Good luck.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My Nova post system which is 1" fits with no problem! Unfortunately Taylor did not call me back to find out if there was another way. They answered an email, but just said someone would call back; then they did not call. I did measure them, and the banjo was exactly 1.0+ a smidge (cant remember), but the posts were over 1.0, which I'll attribute to poor machining. I even ran a 1" milling bit through the banjo. I'm going to call them again today and tell them just send them back, I'll give them away or sell them on ebay.
    Where did I put those band aids?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Couple things come to mind.
    1. Any way I cut it, a 50% restocking fee for an item like this is far too high. They could easily put it in a new, sealed plastic wrapper and resell. A cheap way to do it is with a "seal-a-meal" type machine you buy for the kitchen.I have even seen original packaging that is a heavyweight ziplock bag with a staple in it.
    While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I would like to point out that it's not just the cost of the item that they need to consider. Receiving it back, repackaging it, and putting it back in inventory costs them money as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens Hoffmann View Post
    While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I would like to point out that it's not just the cost of the item that they need to consider. Receiving it back, repackaging it, and putting it back in inventory costs them money as well.
    Yes, it's a sad situation, but when someone has an issue with a retailer, whether the customer or supplier is right, this company has lost me as a future potential customer and I wonder how many more reading this thread. Was the 50% restocking fee worth this?

If they were made wrong then it wasn't Taylor's fault but as the seller they are responsible to make it right. A restocking fee is only for someone who buys something and then changes their mind. What worries me more is that either Taylor is charging the customer and restocking something defective (which means the next person they sell it to most likely will be sending it back). Or they are willing to make a profit off a customer off of a defective product. That's unacceptable. I would wait until after the holidays and try once more to see if they are willing to resolve this. If not then call the credit card company. Personally I don't know why a company would risk loosing customers. There's far too many places selling the same stuff to risk loosing any customers.