Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taylor toolworks customer support?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yikes. I wonder if they know customers will post such experiences and thousands of people will read about them. Can't be good for business...
    A company has a right to decide the terms on which it will do business just the same as the customer does. A relative works in retail, and it is not uncommon to have someone order a dozen different clothing items, with no intention of keeping more than one. The rest just get sent back for the no questions asked refund. If a business does not want to have the kind of customer service overhead to allow that kind of thing, a restocking charge will help prevent it, and also avoid unhappy customers by letting them know up front they want to look elsewhere if they are not sure what they want.

I am not clear if the OP ordered a part that he thought would fit but just does not, or if he ordered a part that should correctly fit and it is defective. If it is defective obviously the seller ought to replace it with a proper part.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens Hoffmann View Post
    While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I would like to point out that it's not just the cost of the item that they need to consider. Receiving it back, repackaging it, and putting it back in inventory costs them money as well.
    Your point is very valid Jens. IMO, 20% is fair for just those reasons. 50% is too high for me to do business with them, personally.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    If they were made wrong then it wasn't Taylor's fault but as the seller they are responsible to make it right. A restocking fee is only for someone who buys something and then changes their mind. What worries me more is that either Taylor is charging the customer and restocking something defective (which means the next person they sell it to most likely will be sending it back). Or they are willing to make a profit off a customer off of a defective product. That's unacceptable. I would wait until after the holidays and try once more to see if they are willing to resolve this. If not then call the credit card company. Personally I don't know why a company would risk loosing customers. There's far too many places selling the same stuff to risk loosing any customers.
    Alex, there's a possibility that his lathe is not a true 1". Is it really a defective part in that case? (Assuming the diameter of the item they sold him really is 1"?)

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Alex, there's a possibility that his lathe is not a true 1". Is it really a defective part in that case? (Assuming the diameter of the item they sold him really is 1"?)

He said "the banjo was exactly 1.0+ a smidge (cant remember), but the posts were over 1.0, which I'll attribute to poor machining" so it sounds like this is not a problem with his banjo but a clear cut problem with the purchased product. I'm sure it makes no difference, but I personally will never buy from them, FWIW.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    He said "the banjo was exactly 1.0+ a smidge (cant remember), but the posts were over 1.0, which I'll attribute to poor machining" so it sounds like this is not a problem with his banjo but a clear cut problem with the purchased product. I'm sure it makes no difference, but I personally will never buy from them, FWIW.
    Tom
    Well heck Tom, you're right. I missed his second post. Sorry guys.

Another thing to consider is if Robert Sorby deals with the end user. The brief look at there website I do not see any where to buy direct from them. Its possible they may expect there authorized dealers to handle any defect returns. You would have to check with Sorby to confirm that.

The Uk. Robert Sorby site lists a number of tool post diameters

Stems are available in ½", ⅝", ¾", ⅞", 1",1⅛" 25mm, 28mm and 30mm diameters to fit most popular lathes.

https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/woodt...l765-s13-stems (scroll down page)

It would probably be sensible to ask Taylor tools to measure the diameter of the post with calipers,check the code on the packaging( see website ) and compare to the measurements and code with the website to establish which variant of toolpost you received
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 12-31-2019 at 6:54 PM.

They have decided that if I pay them the 50% refund back. They will ship the tool rest post, and the 3 rests, free of shipping. I ran a 1" milling bit through my banjo, just make sure, it did not even hit the metal. I'm just going to send the post itself back to sorby and they should send one that is actually machined to the specified size that was on the listing. Maybe I can use them for paper weights?
    Where did I put those band aids?

Dueane
    I think the most likely explanation is you have been sent the incorrect post(stem)

Ask Turner tools to measure the diameter of the post (stem) and check the item number on the packaging These steps should establish the answer

I would suggest you have probably received one of the following sizes 1⅛" 25mm, 28mm or 30mm diameter tool post(stem)

see website below and scroll down

https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/woodt...l765-s13-stems
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 01-01-2020 at 6:01 PM.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I think this is "fair". I see their stuff on Amazon all the time as "Taytools", so it matters to me for potential future purchases......

According to their website (taytools.com), they offer free shipping within the US, so you're not out any money for that. But did they finally agree to pay for your return shipping? (Their return policy says they pay return shipping on a defective part or the wrong part.)

Edit: Maybe you're tired of messing with this but it sure seems like they should check it as Brian Deakin suggests and then send you the correct item. As is, once you get it back you might still have to pay to send the tool post back to Sorby. In England.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-01-2020 at 7:24 AM.

Interesting thread. And a decision maker for me. If I have to pay for shipping a defective item back, that’s a full fail.