Thread: Delta 24” Scroll Saw - Stepped or Variable Speed?

Delta 24” Scroll Saw - Stepped or Variable Speed?

Picked up three 24 inch delta scroll saws at an auction. Looking to save one of them and restore it and sell the other two. Which should I keep? Two have stepped pulleys and one is variable speed.

thoughts on which to keep and restore?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. ~Benjamin Franklin

Jeff,
    I’ve got a Delta 1200 scroll saw, ca. 1937-41 with stepped pulleys. I use it a lot for cutting wood up to 3/4” thick. It’s a great machine. I don’t know anything about the variable speed model. Changing the speed with the stepped pulleys is a bit of a pain, but unless you’re going to use your saw for cutting metal or really thick stock, I don’t think you’ll change speeds very often if at all. I’d keep the one that’s currently in the best condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Jeff,
    I’d keep the one that’s currently in the best condition.
    Thanks for the feedback! They’re all in pretty much the same condition so I really have options as far as which one to move forward with. Hopefully somebody will chime in about the reliability of the variable speed and if it’s a great option or a pain to keep functioning.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. ~Benjamin Franklin

Hi Jeff,
    My scroll saw looks similar but is a different brand. I would be inclined to keep the variable speed model. It will be much more handy to change speeds should the occasion arise.
    David

DBF2B182-E8F3-45E4-8956-66434CAABEF4.jpeg