Thread: Varnish problem

Varnish problem

For 30 years I have used plain old varnish for my projects. Most of the time I have mixed 1/2 semigloss and 1/2 satin to get the gloss level I prefer.

My last effort, however, went south. I had several quarts of gloss that I picked up at a bankruptcy sale for use on bamboo fly rods. I mixed it with 2/3 satin from Sherwin Williams. It settled out within hours, even though it was shaken well in the store only a couple of days before. I always filter using very fine mesh filters from the auto paint store; I had them shake it again and filtered it again. It settled again. I sprayed some and it clogged the filter in the sprayer. I am now convinced that it was not the silica settling, but the varnish itself coagulating.

I'm ready to spray another table and picked up a new quart from SW today. Now I have cold feet.

Has anyone had this happen?

Was the gloss also SW varnish or some other brand? How old was it? Had it been previously opened or was it a new container?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Was the gloss also SW varnish or some other brand? How old was it? Had it been previously opened or was it a new container?

Different brand, which has been on the shelf unopened for several years (ran across an operation that sells insurance claimed stuff; they had gotten an entire paint store inventory, from after a fire, most of the cans had rusty tops but I picked out 5 perfect quarts of gloss varnish for $2 per- I used it for dipping bamboo fly rods) Never had a problem with mixing this with different brands before.

Imho there are two possibilities:

Either the varnish is just old and has started to polymerize (my vote)

Or the 2 products you tried to mix are slightly incompatible. Formulations have changed over time as manufacturers have tried to comply with changing laws on volatile organic compounds. This can cause incompatibility.

I'm with Prashun on this. And that last point is important..."varnish" as a term is a very generic thing and there are so many different formulas, it will make one's head spin, especially today with increased focus on VOC reduction, etc. A "best practice" with finishing products is to try and stick with one brand and even one product when mixing to avoid Mr Murphy getting a big fat grin...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...