Thread: Enduro Var over Art Resin inlay

Enduro Var over Art Resin inlay

I'm creating a wood mosaic leaving a thin (<1/8") space between the pieces (which will be about 1/16 - 3/32" thick). I will fill the space with a black bead of Art Resin. My usual cabinet finish is Enduro Var sprayed on. I am aware that General says to use this product only on wood but they also say, for example, not to use it over a thinned coat of shellac sealer which many woodworkers do without problems. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of finish over an epoxy filler? If it is a real problem, any suggestions?

There is an article in Fine Woodworking (Feb. 2020 issue) and the author uses Rubio monocoat. However, that seems to be an on the wood type finish that essentially leaves it somewhat plastic looking. But I have no direct experience with that. Anyway, I look forward to your suggestions re finish.

I'm one of those folks who regularly puts EnduroVar over Sealcoat shellac. I've never had a problem. FWIW, GF used to say it was OK to do so, too, but changed their guidelines several years ago for whatever reason. Anyway, I would make up a test sample and spray part of it with EnduroVar and another part with Sealcoat shellac and then the EnduroVar. Wait a few days and then see if they pass the nickel or fingernail test.

I once tried putting EnduroVar over GF's PreCat Lacquer. The EnduroVar came off easily with a fingernail so GF's not kidding that it doesn't play nice with some things.

John