Thread: Arm r seal

Arm r seal

I see it requires 12-24 hrs over raw wood. How long is the dry time between coats? Thanks. Brian

I just looked that up and found-

CURE TIME: 30 days under ideal conditions (70 degrees and 70% humidity). Cure time is the amount of time needed for the finish on a piece to reach maximum hardness and be ready for normal use.
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    I just looked that up and found-

CURE TIME: 30 days under ideal conditions (70 degrees and 70% humidity). Cure time is the amount of time needed for the finish on a piece to reach maximum hardness and be ready for normal use.

Joe, not cure time, how long should the dry time be between the 2nd and 3rd coats since it is not on raw wood?

Thanks.

Brian

I usually wait 4-6 hours.

Sorry Brian I have no idea, never used the stuff myself.
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I usually wait 4-6 hours.

thanks Phil

Here is what the manufacturer has to say about it. It took me a good 15 seconds to find it - much quicker than asking for advice on a forum. Why not consult the manufacturer rather than trust the advice of strangers.

https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-retail/oil-based-topcoats/arm-r-seal-oil-based-topcoat

Art, I find it very helpful to ask forum members for real world experience. While I generally agree that manufacturer recommendations are a safe bet, actual product experience is helpful. For example, Watco recommends 72 hours prior to a top coat. My experience is that you would be better off letting it cure for a week or even two. I think manufacturer recommendations are a blend of make it seem as easy and quick as possible while at the same time limit application failure.

Many folks here have decades of valuable real life experience. Over the years of being on SMC, I don’t think of Creekers as strangers...but have come to consider them friends if even just online.