Thread: Robland XSD - J/P combo

Robland XSD - J/P combo

Aside from the known Laguna connection, there is very limited information, videos, comments and manuals out there..... I did see a very detailed post on SMC back to 2007 for installation of Shellix head and PITA of a process.

Today I am looking at 12 inch J/P combo, with mortiser, extended table frames. I think the planer function also has some form of in-feed speed control. Pictures look like unit is decent condition. Just curious if there where any known pitfalls with this machine / brand.

Valuation $1400, seems about right for 12" Jointer

Any further thoughts on brand, unit, price?

TIA

Brian

I have that machine. I did put a Byrd head on it and had them press the bearings on. The machine runs well, I don't like having to take the jointer fence off to use the planer, when put back on the fence often needs to be recalibrated. Mine doesn't have extendable tables (I didn't know that they are available for that machine. The one thing I'd tell you is that dialing it in precisely is a pain. If I had it to do over again I would try to get a felder or something like that. That said, the machine does what is supposed to do. The 12" jointer is a treat! -Howard

I also have the XSD and had bought the extension tables when I got the machine new (basically a couple of aluminum bars with roller bar that bolt to the jointer), but I have never installed. I am able to joint 8' lumber without the extension if there is not too much crook (then I first use a track saw). I use the machine regularly and it is my go to planer and jointer. I don't seem to have the problem with the fence Howard mentions, but I don't think much of the mortiser....heavy and limited in function and ability to align pieces. My son just finished a side table for his HS wood shop class and used the mortiser.....it worked, but was a frustration....we'll probably end up with a Domino and the mortiser will become a boat anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I also have the XSD and had bought the extension tables when I got the machine new (basically a couple of aluminum bars with roller bar that bolt to the jointer), but I have never installed. I am able to joint 8' lumber without the extension if there is not too much crook (then I first use a track saw). I use the machine regularly and it is my go to planer and jointer. I don't seem to have the problem with the fence Howard mentions, but I don't think much of the mortiser....heavy and limited in function and ability to align pieces. My son just finished a side table for his HS wood shop class and used the mortiser.....it worked, but was a frustration....we'll probably end up with a Domino and the mortiser will become a boat anchor.

Any idea if $1400 is good used price? I have no idea what these went for new back in early 2000's

Quote Originally Posted by brian cammarata View Post
    Any idea if $1400 is good used price? I have no idea what these went for new back in early 2000's
    Whatever it cost when it was new is irrelevant. What matters is how much a new one costs today, or a similar machine if that one is no longer made.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Whatever it cost when it was new is irrelevant. What matters is how much a new one costs today, or a similar machine if that one is no longer made.

John
    John....you are correct...i think the price was luke warm. Certainly not a hot deal or a steal..... I got a 25 year 12 inch jointer. No frills, bell or whistles and a medicore fence. But it was delivered and unloaded to my house buy the seller, so very little effort by me. Getting into my shop is a whole other issue, as hopefully the tables come off, to fit down my stairs.

Long story short, ii should do for me what it requires and i spent about 1/2 of buying a new comparable Griz or Jet.

Hopefully its not to finicky to get dialed in.

Anybody else got a good source of info for these machines?

You got a 25 year old machine that was built much better than either of the two new ones you were considering. Plus it has variable speed for the planer feed which is pretty amazing, and a mortiser. No, you didn't get a spiral head, but straight knives are fine and you have $1600 more in your pocket. And he delivered it for no charge? I'd say you got a really good deal.

When I looked at photos of that vintage machine it seems to me you should be able to pull the hinge pins that hold the tables to their mounting brackets. If so, the tables should go back on exactly like they are now, with no change in alignment. Alternatively, you could remove the tables by unbolting the table mounting brackets but unless there are locating pins between the brackets and frame they might not end up in the same exact alignment when you bolt them back on. It that's the route you take, I would put match marks at 3 or 4 locations around each bracket to aid in alignment when you reattach them.

Good luck.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 01-12-2020 at 8:56 PM.