Thread: Bandsaw setup

Bandsaw setup

I wound up grabbing a Laguna 18bx after thanksgiving and it got delivered the week before Christmas. Been out of the state over the Christmas break, but need to get it set up when I get back. Anything I need to be aware of in particular? Or just go through the manual and follow along? Never set one of these up nor owned one, so I’m really not sure what I’m looking for. Probably throw the 1.25” resaw king on it to start. Also have a 1/4” and 3/8” blade, but figure I won’t be using these a whole lot to start with.

Did the blades come with the saw Casey?
    David

No, the blades did not come with the saw. Took advantage of the 20% off thanksgiving sales.

I don't know the saw, so hopefully others more knowlegeable will jump in, but I wonder if the saw is capable of tensioning a 1.25" blade sufficiently? On this size saw, I wonder if a 1" might be more useful, but, again, I'm not an expert and just asking questions.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I don't know the saw, so hopefully others more knowlegeable will jump in, but I wonder if the saw is capable of tensioning a 1.25" blade sufficiently? On this size saw, I wonder if a 1" might be more useful, but, again, I'm not an expert and just asking questions.
    I would agree the 1" blade was better for me. I still have a 1 1/4" but don't use it much. It pushes the limit of the saw. I found it harder to set the guides.

As for setting up the saw is was pretty straight forward. I just walked through the manual.

Highland Hdwe in ATL used to sell re-saw blades? My Woodmizer sawmill uses 1 1/4" blades. I never resaw on my 14" saw so not much help here. I rarely use my 1/2 or 3/4" blades, mostly smaller for shapes. Over time you can consider which tires work best on that saw. I switched to the urethane tires but honestly they last no longer than the OE rubber tires for me. One set of the orange urethanes was untrue and had to be removed as blades ran off the wheels, never a problem until then. Guides are another thing to scrutinize.

I wouldn't go with a more than a 1" blade. I have an 18" bandsaw and actually resaw with a 1/2" blade. My next blade will be a 1" carbide tipped.

Well crap...I bought the biggest blade they said would work with the saw. I’ll see if woodcraft won’t let me exchange it. Only reason I went with it was the description said the saw was capable of the 1.25”. Consensus seems to be 1”.

I’ll have some fun when I get home and see if I can’t get this thing up and running.

Maybe I missed it somehow, but when I set up my 18bx, I don't think the manual ever covered aligning the table miter slot (well, the table really) to be parallel to the side of the blade. Granted, this is really only important if you will use a miter gauge with it, but seems like the manual should have covered it. I used the trick where you stick a small magnet to the blade (to provide clearance from the teeth) and a rule to that, and then adjust the table so the miter slot is parallel to the rule. You do this after you have the tracking and all the other table adjustments done. Enjoy the saw! I love mine.

BTW, I bought the 1" Resaw king but haven't even put it on the saw; a highland hardware 1/2" blade has done everything I've asked of the saw; although I haven't done any resawing on boards wider than 6" or so as yet.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, aligning the mitre slot with the blade can also be important for fence alignment.....Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Carr View Post
    Well crap...I bought the biggest blade they said would work with the saw. I’ll see if woodcraft won’t let me exchange it. Only reason I went with it was the description said the saw was capable of the 1.25”. Consensus seems to be 1”.

I’ll have some fun when I get home and see if I can’t get this thing up and running.
    The 1.25" Resaw King does work with the 18BX, which is not one of those under-engineered and over-promised lightweights. It's the real thing. That said, the blade I have on the saw most often is the 1/2" Resaw King. Too bad they don't seem to offer that size anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Carr View Post

I think this is true for most band saws. (widest blade the manufacturer recommends) - one size down = widest practical blade. Another consideration is blade thickness, some blade sizes can be had in either .025" thickness or .032" thickness. The .025" will be easier to tension but won't have the beam strength.