Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Step Stool

Step Stool

After finally finishing my big wooden bandsaw (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....andsaw-project), I was glad to get back to some small, hand tool projects.

A couple who are friends of my Wife and myself just had their first daughter not long ago. As a gift, my wife asked me to make them a step stool with their daughters name on the seat.
    I didn't want to paint the name on the top, and I'm not much of a carver, so decided to "Stipple" the name in.

Wood is Honduran Mahogany. After making the first one, I had enough wood left over to build a second (without the stippling).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice results..Like your DTs.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Very nice, kind of like a small saw bench with style.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Good deed done ,now make it even better by adding your name and the date.

Nice work Jeff. Never have too many step-stools.
    Aj

Nice work and a nice gift for Jemma. Thanks for sharing Jeff.
    David

Jeff; who is the maker of your dovetail saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post

Jeff; who is the maker of your dovetail saw.
    Stewie,

That's a saw I made about six or seven years ago. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ail-saw-handle
    It started out as a kind of experiment for my first dovetail saw but it has worked well for me so have just kept using it.

Thanks Jeff. Appreciate the feedback.

Stewie;

Beautiful job, excellent craftsmanship!

How did you “stipple” the name? I’m not familiar with that process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Beautiful job, excellent craftsmanship!

How did you “stipple” the name? I’m not familiar with that process.
    Mark,

I become familiar with stippling as it relates to its use on gun stocks.
    There are dedicated stippling punches available from places like Brownells. In my case, I just used a 1/8" diameter steel pin and ground the tip down to a slightly rounded point of ~1/64 diameter.

It is easiest to have a defined border cut using a knife or chisel although it can also just be dawn in with pencil, etc, but just not so sharp a transition in this case.
    I just hold the pin lightly over the surface of the wood and hit with a light hammer. the pin compresses the wood and then bounces back (you don't want it to bury itself in the wood). The pin is just moved randomly over the area to be stippled while repeatedly hitting with the hammer. As the pin bounces back it makes it easy to get into a rythm of hitting and pin and letting it bounce back at each tap.

Googling "Stippling wood" will yield much better descriptions than I am providing though.

Made a Pine one last year...
    IMG_5501 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_5502 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_5504 (640x480).jpg
    Walnut wedges,,,,
    May try another one in Ash.....
    side view.jpg
    Wedged tenons..or...dovetails?

OP's stool looks very good....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    Mark,

I become familiar with stippling as it relates to its use on gun stocks.
    There are dedicated stippling punches available from places like Brownells. In my case, I just used a 1/8" diameter steel pin and ground the tip down to a slightly rounded point of ~1/64 diameter.

It is easiest to have a defined border cut using a knife or chisel although it can also just be dawn in with pencil, etc, but just not so sharp a transition in this case.
    I just hold the pin lightly over the surface of the wood and hit with a light hammer. the pin compresses the wood and then bounces back (you don't want it to bury itself in the wood). The pin is just moved randomly over the area to be stippled while repeatedly hitting with the hammer. As the pin bounces back it makes it easy to get into a rythm of hitting and pin and letting it bounce back at each tap.

Googling "Stippling wood" will yield much better descriptions than I am providing though.
    Jeff, your explanation is perfect- thanks!

Nicely done, sure to become an heirloom. I also appreciate your explanation of the stippling.

Best

chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Beautiful work, really like the stippling. Will have to give it a try sometime. I made a trio of staked stools for my kids, they have been put to good use so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images