Thread: Question about Lie Nielsen 140

Question about Lie Nielsen 140

I am planning to buy the LN 140 skew rabbet block plane with a Chistmas gift card. They have left handed and right handed versions. For a right handed person buying only one of these planes, which version would you choose? Looking at the photos of the two planes and picturing myself using the plane, I am leaning toward the left version. Thanks in advance, David

Blog Entries
    What tasks do you envision yourself using a #140 to accomplish?

For many years there was only one version available. That seemed to be enough for most wood workers.

The main reason for left & right versions is when they are used for making raised panels. This is when it is advantageous to have your plane working with the grain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have both. I find them useful when cleaning up tenon cheeks or half lap joints. It is handy to come at the shoulder from both sides. The skew cut is smoother than a rabbet block plane or shoulder plane.

To answer your specific question, I use the right hand version quite a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
    I am planning to buy the LN 140 skew rabbet block plane with a Chistmas gift card. They have left handed and right handed versions. For a right handed person buying only one of these planes, which version would you choose? Looking at the photos of the two planes and picturing myself using the plane, I am leaning toward the left version. Thanks in advance, David
    David, I have a spectacular LN #140. I purchased it in very rough state on eBay, and Thomas Lie Nielsen helped me restore it. For this reason, I cannot part with it ...

Having said this, it is rarely used. The skew block planes of Veritas are just so much better - easier to set up, adjust and use. If you are determined to get a skew block plane, the Veritas is the preferred choice.

On the other hand, if you wish to get a LN block plane, and you do not have their #60 1/2 (which is excellent - and I would be recommending this long before the #140), I would be looking at their rabbet block plane, which comes in handy (and gives you both hands in one).

Regards from Prague

Derek

Like Thomas I have both LNs. I use them quite a bit. In addition to the tasks Thomas mentioned, I use them for quickly squaring up edges when I don’t feel like dragging out the shooting board. I’m right-handed and do use the RH version more, but find both useful.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the comments. I would use it to trim tenons and rabbets. I also like how Rob Cosman makes a shallow rebate on tailboards using a 140. Derek’s comment makes me hesitate. I already have several block planes, my favorite being a vintage 601/2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the comments. I would use it to trim tenons and rabbets. I also like how Rob Cosman makes a shallow rebate on tailboards using a 140. Derek’s comment makes me hesitate. I already have several block planes, my favorite being a vintage 601/2.
    For those uses one side or the other would likely be all that is needed.

Recently a vintage Stanley #60-1/2 came my way. It is used more than my LN #60-1/2. The main reason for that is the Stanley is a bit lighter and easier to grip due to an old hand injury. For many the LN might be a touch better due to the extra weight and heavier blade. The LN is only available with an A2 blade.

If you do not already have a rabbet plane the LN #60-1/2R (rabbet block plane) might be a good choice at $50 less than the #140.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have the right handed version.
    It’s a limited use tool but it’s always ready and sharp.
    Aj

9. I am right-handed and generally use the left-handed version. I use it one-handed pushing away from my body perpendicularly.

Blog Entries
    I bought the right hand version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    For those uses one side or the other would likely be all that is needed.

Recently a vintage Stanley #60-1/2 came my way. It is used more than my LN #60-1/2. The main reason for that is the Stanley is a bit lighter and easier to grip due to an old hand injury. For many the LN might be a touch better due to the extra weight and heavier blade. The LN is only available with an A2 blade.

If you do not already have a rabbet plane the LN #60-1/2R (rabbet block plane) might be a good choice at $50 less than the #140.

jtk
    I'm with Jim on this one: a vintage 60-1/2 just fits me better. In my neck of the woods, they are readily available at flea markets, etc., and I've got a number of them for $5 to $10.00. Blades are good steel in the older ones. Ray Isles makes a top notch carbon steel blade, as does Hock, however, the square corners on the Hock blade are very uncomfortable.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I have the left and right LN planes - almost never use them. Get a regular low angle block plane.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.