Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Purchase....SCM, Felder, Laguna????

Bandsaw Purchase....SCM, Felder, Laguna????

I know,
    Another bandsaw question!!
    In the market for a larger sized bandsaw, in the Antique boat restoration, building business.
    Looking at a Felder FB610, SCM Formula S500P or maybe a Laguna LT2417
    Anyone have any experience with these saws, customer service, parts availability....
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

Hi,
    I think your three choices are a similar class of saw. I own the S500P (MM20) and I can say it is a superb piece of equipment and I have no regrets or criticisms.

If your choices are end up being a toss up in terms of features and service is important to you, I can say from my experience that my SCM sales rep, Sam Blasco is a class act and a wealth of information.

I hope this helps.

There is a used SCM s500p listed on Woodweb that looks to be little used, in a home shop, and has some extras for just under $4k. Its in Maine so not all that far from you.

I also have the S500P and love it. I keep a 1" Lenox CT on it since I have another BS for curved work. Zero complaints and Sam is indeed a wealth of information. I close friend has the FB600 and is very happy with it.

You also need to ask if the new MM or SCM saws are sourced from ACM rather than Centauro. The new saws are 540,640, etc which are the size of the heavy ACM series vs the 500,600 size on the Centauro saws. The ACM 24x17 and older Centauro 600 saws will be the best at resawing with the S500 close behind. A used three phase saw and a vfd to run it will be your lowest cost best bang for the buck choice. Dave

PS. the Felder 640, Laguna LT 640, or older Felder, Bridgewood, or Laguna LT 540 will all be ACM machines.
    Last edited by David Kumm; 12-29-2019 at 1:12 PM.

Watch for a deal on a quality used saw in excellent condition.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

7. I've had a Laguna 14BX for 6 months or so and use it to resaw for veneer. Would have loved to get something like a MM but could not justify the price right now. I have to say that the fit and finish on the 14BX it pretty good and it has worked flawlessly for me. Way nicer than the Grizzly or Jet products I've looked at.

I have a 1997 ACM star600/GriggioSNAC600 and I wonder if its the same saw as the Laguna you mention.
    The motors might be the biggest difference between my saw and the Laguna, mine is 3hp 3 phase and runs well from a hundred quid VFD.
    The design hasn't changed on the new ACM star machines apart from an added dust port from what I can tell.

You might want a rack an pinion table and that might be the deal breaker.
    If the Laguna is the same as the old ACM Star then it is a bad system for adjustment, if you need tilt your table.

I believe they all share the same guide mounting size rod for the whole guide assembly, and use GL456 or GL789 rollers, look up Scott&Sargeant to see them.
    I got mine for 500 euros and replaced the wheel bearings (which I didn't need to do) they are standard and cost a fiver each.

The tires are vulcanised to the wheel on my saw, but on the Minimax they are stretched onto the wheels and have a tongue on the tire to keep them put.
    See Sam Blasco's video on Minimax bandsaws showing this on youtube
    I bought a SP600 tire with tongue which I believe will have to be removed if one ever gets damaged, it was expensive to get shipped.

If I knew of a tire material on eBay was available I would have just bought it instead, and have stumbled on forum thread where someone has used this stuff...
    Search Ebay for SOLID PLY REINFORCED INSERTION SIDE SKIRT NEOPRENE RUBBER STRIP VARIOUS SIZES.
    (just incase you find something else needing tires)

Good luck
    Tom

Just getting back to this, ended up with the damn flu!! not fun...
    Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.
    Lagunas are ACM
    SCM are Centauro
    FB610 is supposedly made in Austria, whatever that means.
    John

Don’t think SMC are Centuro anymore but I’m not 100% as I have not made the call. It’s just the internet mumbling.

Craigslist Boston has a s500 in RI for $4k

That’s a bit pricey for used but honestly if I was in the market and speaking as a owner of a S500 I would buy a used Centuro over a new rebranded scm form any maker.

But this is my feeling on all used equipment in general. I’d rather buy top of the line used and deal with potential problems “most all can be worked out” than buy middle of the road new and also face potential problems but then get all pissed because I purchase something new that should work and does not.

Simply the Centuro saws are awesome. Every high end “top tier” Scm machine I have used “not their entry level stuff” that’s been unimpressive in my experience has been plug and play. I consider the Centuro Scm branded band saws top tier machines. The cast table is less than impressive but it’s a band saw and it works so I can see by that.

For instance my former employer paid $18k for a SCM630 class 24” planer. One tier bellow their top of the line. It was $18 new delivered. Honestly I’m a Martin snob but have to admit this machine was very nice. Contrast that to a new Martin “simular level” at more like $35k and it’s a deal. Now take both machines used and the SCM can be had for like $9-12k depending and the Martin like $20k. I myself for whatever reason would still buy the Martin but this is not about that. My point is that used SCM planer is a great deal and very good machine for anything o would say but industrial run all day use.

I’d stick to a SCM made by Centuro. If that meant buying used at this point I would. If I had unlimited head room there are other older machines and maybe a few new I’d consider.

I can’t seem to find info on the SCM website worth a darn, let alone a phone number!!
    anyone have any info for them?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Schumer View Post
    I can’t seem to find info on the SCM website worth a darn, let alone a phone number!!
    anyone have any info for them?
    thanks
    I would email Sam Blasco directly at sam.blasco@scmgroup.com. He's a wealth of info and can email you everything.

Sam Blasco
    sam.blasco@scmgroup.com
    512-931-1962 (shop)
    512-796-3036 (mobile)
    866-216-2166 (main office/parts/tech services)
    www.minimax-usa.com
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all the help guys,
    Jim,
    Thanks for the contact info, for some reason I couldn't find it!!
    Ended up going the SCM route, yes, they are still made by Centauro (sp)?
    John
    Last edited by John Schumer; 01-04-2020 at 9:56 AM.

David, as far as VFD goes what ww equipment to avoid? Thinking planer, jointer and maybe saw?

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You also need to ask if the new MM or SCM saws are sourced from ACM rather than Centauro. The new saws are 540,640, etc which are the size of the heavy ACM series vs the 500,600 size on the Centauro saws. The ACM 24x17 and older Centauro 600 saws will be the best at resawing with the S500 close behind. A used three phase saw and a vfd to run it will be your lowest cost best bang for the buck choice. Dave

PS. the Felder 640, Laguna LT 640, or older Felder, Bridgewood, or Laguna LT 540 will all be ACM machines.