Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Purchase....SCM, Felder, Laguna????

I wouldn't put a vfd on anything but a bandsaw or drill press. The other machines need to run at full rpm.

Pretty sure they will run at full rpm it would be the load that is the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I wouldn't put a vfd on anything but a bandsaw or drill press. The other machines need to run at full rpm.

in most woodworking applications the vfd is just to convert single phase to three. Simple machines with one motor and no electronics are the best candidates. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Huh? Who told you this nonsense?

Have a cheap 100 euros one on my 12" 3hp tablesaw and it runs off my household 3 pin plug, 13 amps in Ireland and the U.K.
    Adjustable soft start enables me to not require an electrician to wire up a 16amp socket, so allows me to have at least an extra horse and no fuses blow.
    it's the starting draw that is hard on the supply.
    I decided to leave my bandsaw running to check at the meter, and it drew little more than my laptop.
    My saws will not struggle with what I normally do.
    Occasionally an hour at a time on the tablesaw doing full depth cuts in iroko is no challenge.

A paddle switch makes an nice addition for hands free shut off and you can wire as many off switches as you like.(hidden or key lock if you like)
    Look for a Vfd' / inverter which has compatibility for 3 wire control for a paddle.

I don't believe you can use these in business as you have to comply with ten second isolation from mains supply rule. (The capicators need time to drain after unplugging)

No reason to pass on an absolute bargain which will be a better class machine, more frequently encountered, and far cheaper, compared to a machine I can run from a domestic plug.

Since it's looks like the thread has already 'taken the turn', I'll dig the rabbit hole a little deeper (and mix 1 or 6 metaphors)....

VFD can give you soft-start, some overload protection (tho' not classified as such), phase conversion, full rated motor HP (or less, if you want), braking, AND variable speed. It will do more too, at the risk of boring y'all, like metering, or clean up dirty power if your electric supplier is giving you the high, haaa... ...well, you get the idea.

Speeds? Take your pick. They can be anywhere from 1Hz to 600Hz depending on VFD make. As a practical matter, I try to keep continuous duty, industrial applications between 25% and 150%. Lower and the motor's cooling fan efficiency is compromised; higher and typical motor's bearings just don't last. But in a intermittent duty, hobby shop you could break the 'me' rules for short periods.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-04-2020 at 6:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Check this site, I have a jet with a 4" riser block and I can can cut up to 8" with it.

https://www.toolnut.com/jet-414483-v...ampaign=414483

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Check this site, I have a jet with a 4" riser block and I can can cut up to 8" with it.

https://www.toolnut.com/jet-414483-v...ampaign=414483
    I'm surprised a 14" bandsaw can only cut 8" high.....

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Lowell, the OP is buying a much larger saw and ordered from SCM/Minimax.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finally all set to go,
    Runs like a champ, happy with the purchase,
    Thanks to all who helped!
    Whoever it was that pointed me to this saw that was in Maine, Thanks!!
    Anyone have a set of the European style guides that want to sell??
    John

minimaxs500p.jpg

My s500p may be one of the only ok few tools purchases I have made that I’m 100% satisfied with. The machine just does what it’s suppose to do. No fuss no fiddling nothing just plug it in and work.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schumer View Post
    Finally all set to go,
    Runs like a champ, happy with the purchase,
    Thanks to all who helped!
    Whoever it was that pointed me to this saw that was in Maine, Thanks!!
    John

minimaxs500p.jpg

I think you'll love it. I have no complaints with mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schumer View Post
    I bought the euro guides from Laguna and installed them on my Felder FB510. I suspect you can do the same.

Mike

Blog Entries
    for reference:
    felder = agazzani

We have an SCM MM20. I like it overall. Plenty of power. Built well and heavy.

Support is out of Atlanta I believe and they have been helpful.

My only complaint is the switch has gone out twice in 3 years. Simple enough fix but it should last longer. It’s an Eaton switch and I’ve read online it’s a common enough to find a few complaints.