Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing used TS

Pricing used TS

So... after you've gotten a mid-level TS all spruced up, added a few aftermarket accessories like fence, router table wing, etc... how do you end up pricing the package when you want/need to move it?

Actual saw is a Ridgid 4512, with a Sharkguard, Incra TS-LS 32, and Incra router wing + plate on the left side. The original fence and wings are no longer available.

Most of the stuff I see locally on CL is box-stock with zero upgrades, so it 's hard to get any idea of comparable pricing.

I’ve found that those accessories will usually be worth more selling individually than packaged with the saw. I’d list them here for sale and your saw locally.

Or you could list the saw locally priced for just the saw and say you have X Y and Z accessories available for additional cost.

As far as pricing, the standard is to start with half the cost of new then go up or down according to condition. That will be pretty straightforward with just the saw.

Better to price it a little high, and people will make offers, or you can drop the price over time. Versus pricing it too low and having it sell immediately, and you wondering if you could have gotten more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I’ve found that those accessories will usually be worth more selling individually than packaged with the saw. I’d list them here for sale and your saw locally.
    That's the problem... I don't *have* the original bits any more. The original original fence rail was kinked in shipping, got replaced under warranty, still didn't work reliably/repeatably, and got replaced with the TS-LS. The stamped sheet metal wings got replaced with the Incra RT wing on the left, and a home-made extension on the right. Between lack of space, moving, etc. all the original bits found their way to the dumpster.

Can't really list the saw anywhere without wings *or* a fence...

Is your saw nicer than a competing hybrid (be honest with yourself). Probably not - which means you need to price according to what those would go for.

Really though you need to see what the local used market is holding and set the price that way. Annoyingly as a buyer, here in Seattle the used market is nuts. Stuff seems to sell for 80% of retail. In other areas 50% is the norm.

I didn’t see that you didn’t have those. I’d agree with Ben’s statement above.

Half price around here moves pretty quickly, and half price on the accessories. You aren't dealing with a highly desirable machine with the Rigid model.

I agree, the local market will determine the price at which it will sell. Locally, it is tough to buy anything used without paying nearly new price for a worn out tool. I quit checking E-bay locally as it was a constant lesson in futility.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Most people looking at that level of saw are going to be on a really tight budget. They also probably won't be at point where the extras seem super valuable. It's kind of like trying to sell a Dodge Neon with a really slick paint job, Brembro brakes, and $4000 wheels. I'd separate the components if I needed to get maximum return. I'd also expect to sit on it for a while. If quick sale were important, I'd price it at the cost of just the saw new. That might attract someone shopping for new, entry level saws.

I generally agree with the others...part out those things that are not critical to the saw being a functional saw. That's a bit of a challenge here because of the original parts not being available which makes only the SharkGuard separable in practical terms. (That should easily sell...be sure to put it in the Classifieds here at SMC) You're going to end up with a saw that might take a bit more time to find it's new owner since you'll necessarily have to price it a little higher than a stock machine might sell for in your area so be sure to have some patience.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I am buying used machines I place zero value on most accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    When I am buying used machines I place zero value on most accessories.
    Normally, I wouldn't disagree. Unfortunately, in this case the fence and table system are major upgrades, rather than basic accessories and since the original fence, etc., isn't available, that complicates things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Almost makes me wonder if it'd be worth it to part out the fence and accessories, and take what I can get for the saw with just the cabinet, stand and top?

I'll probably list it first as is, with all the bells-n-whistles, for something approaching half what the saw + add-ons retail for, maybe a fuzz more to give some room for haggling, and hope I get lucky.

To be honest, I'm not in a huge hurry to move it, but I've been eyeballing some shop upgrades for a while. Figured I better start planning or they're not going to happen - and moving this TS on down the road is the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    Annoyingly as a buyer, here in Seattle the used market is nuts. Stuff seems to sell for 80% of retail. In other areas 50% is the norm.
    OP is less than 3 hrs from Seattle, perhaps he's able to take advantage of that market.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    OP is less than 3 hrs from Seattle, perhaps he's able to take advantage of that market.
    One might hope... but with a couple mountain passes between here and there, maybe, maybe not. Perhaps more so once winter is done and the passes aren't an issue.

3 hrs from Seattle, 3 hrs from Spokane, 4+ hours from Portland... kinda in a vacuum here in between.