Thread: Book Recommendation on Wood Finishing

Book Recommendation on Wood Finishing

I just received the book,Understanding Wood Finishing, by Bob Flexner, from Amazon for under 20.00 with state tax.

I am completely new to finishing wood, and I need to restore my kitchen cabinets.

I must say that this is a really great book that covers everything, from the chemicals, ingredients, in wood finishes, why and how to use them.

It is a thorough and complete book with easy to understand writing and hundreds of pictures to help explain things. Something I think everyone would benefit from, and not too expensive.

I put the post here because I thought a lot more people might see it, rather then putting it in the finishing section.

If the moderators wish to move it I apologize and understand

2. Adding to the above book, which is VG-
    My first place to look for a book is on Albris, it searches all sources for books, new & used, worldwide, then gives you a list to choose from. I also once used Half Ebay but it is no longer. Just saying there are places to buy stuff other than Amazon... Ebay is great for books too.
    Finishing is complex, I would hate to try to cover it in a book. When I taught woodworking I didn't try to get students too far into it, instead I opted for the keep it simple rationale.

I agree Michael - the Flexner book is hard to top.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Three books by Jeff Jewitt also are very good.

The flexner book or one of the jewitt books are all you need, imho for a broad education.

The Charles neil videos get a lot of positive reviews.

Andy Charons book on spray finishing is good.

After that, I suggest that you start a thread about your kitchen refinishing project. Post pictures and explain the approach you plan to use. You will get specific feedback.

I appreciate the advice on the other books. Thankyou.

I will try to keep it simple too Michael. I am trying for more of a match and repair certain doors, rather then a complete refinish on everything. But then I may have to do all the doors if things do not go right.

I will see about posting pictures Prashun. And will look forward to feed back from my questions and ideas. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Tyree View Post
    Adding to the above book, which is VG-
    My first place to look for a book is on Albris, it searches all sources for books, new & used, worldwide, then gives you a list to choose from. I also once used Half Ebay but it is no longer. Just saying there are places to buy stuff other than Amazon... Ebay is great for books too.
    Finishing is complex, I would hate to try to cover it in a book. When I taught woodworking I didn't try to get students too far into it, instead I opted for the keep it simple rationale.
    Thanks for the Alibris tip- looks like a great resource.