Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: track saw vs circular saw with guide

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, replacement guards, etc., are adhesive backed. When one replaces the splinter guard, the first thing you do is the same as with a new track...your very first cut is to establish the exact edge of the blade by running the saw down the track and trimming the new splinter guard. It's truly zero clearance on the guide side, supports the edge of the material and gives you the the exact cut line to line up on your (presumably accurate) measurements on the workpiece. The guards don't really need to be replaced unless they are inadvertently damaged or wear after a very long period of use or if one changes to a saw blade that has different measurements than the original one used with the track.
    Thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Even if you cut (machine) the ends of the tracks perfect, it would still be problematic to align them over that distance. For accurate results with 2 tracks joined together, I believe you are using the correct method.
    Some may not require the best precision, in which case just bolting them together may be ok. That is exactly why I purchased the long Makita track (it is long enough to cut a full 4 x 8 sheet diagonally).
    David
    Definitely.

A 1mm deviance at the joint (or a piece of dirt) could mean 1/8" or more at the end of a long track.

With my EZ system, I bought 2 extra tracks so as to make a dedicated 10' long one. Once I had it dead-nuts, I epoxied it together at the joint. It just hangs on my wall, horizontally, until needed.

One significant advantage of a high quality track saw is the accuracy of the cuts. We routinely use our TS55 and a pair of long tracks to make glue-line rip quality cuts in boards up to 20’ long. This length lumber is difficult to run across an edge jointer but the Festool track Saw provides a highly accurate cut that requires no additional work before glue up.

I dont think that a cut that precise can be obtained simply with a guide on long cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    One significant advantage of a high quality track saw is the accuracy of the cuts. We routinely use our TS55 and a pair of long tracks to make glue-line rip quality cuts in boards up to 20’ long. This length lumber is difficult to run across an edge jointer but the Festool track Saw provides a highly accurate cut that requires no additional work before glue up.

I dont think that a cut that precise can be obtained simply with a guide on long cuts.

Hi Scott,
    I think you have a valid point. A precision aluminum track is undoubtedly straighter than a fabricated wood guide. That is one of the reasons I switched to my Makita track saw with the 8ft.+ track length.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi Scott,
    I think you have a valid point. A precision aluminum track is undoubtedly straighter than a fabricated wood guide. That is one of the reasons I switched to my Makita track saw with the 8ft.+ track length.
    David
    I don't know about that. I think MDF is pretty darn straight. Why don't some of you guys with the tracks lay your track against a MDF edge and report back how straight MDF really is?

Thanks.

BTW glad I started this thread. Learning a lot and definitely see some advantages to a track saw but mainly for professionals

I use to say that about most sheet goods, that the edges were straight. But about 5-6 years ago the plywood started coming in with edges that were no where near straight over the 8' length. I no longer trust any sheet good for having a straight edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Crout View Post
    I don't know about that. I think MDF is pretty darn straight. Why don't some of you guys with the tracks lay your track against a MDF edge and report back how straight MDF really is?
    I'm not going to trust that MDF is actually straight because, well.. IME it's not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    I use to say that about most sheet goods, that the edges were straight. But about 5-6 years ago the plywood started coming in with edges that were no where near straight over the 8' length. I no longer trust any sheet good for having a straight edge.
    ....or square corners...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post

I don't think that a cut that precise can be obtained simply with a guide on long cuts.
    Scott
    Thank you for an out of box idea moment.
    I have used a shaper do perform edge jointing on numerous occasions. I think I can flip my longer Festool Guide rail around, or one of the EZ rails I have, and use it as a back fence with the shaper.
    I've made a bunch of different back fences over time. You would have thought I would have looked at those guide rails hanging on the wall years ago, and seen a backfence.
    Thank you.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ....or square corners...
    Gave up on square for sheet goods 2 decades ago.