Thread: Mortar And Pestle Business Card Holder

Mortar And Pestle Business Card Holder

Mortor and Pestle.jpg

This was a project for my oldest daughter. She asked me to make her a business card holder for her desk and since she is a Pharmacist this is the design I came up with. As I am not a wood turner I asked John Keeton if he would help me out by turning both the Mortar and Pestle for the project. John did a great job and I am grateful that he had the time available and was kind enough to turn these two pieces. I machined the Tumbleweed color Corian, bent the brass rod for the card support and mounted the Mortar after final polishing.

Thanks again John for your help with this project, my daughter was thrilled when she opened the present on Christmas morning. I explained to her that you provided the talent and she is also appreciative of your beautiful workmanship.

Great job! I bet it will get her cards noticed for sure!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Beautiful!! Very creative...and a nice collaboration. No wonder your daughter loves it.

Thanks guys, I pondered the design for months and all I knew was that the mortar and pestle had to be part of the project. I did not want to use a rectangular plaque either so the kidney shape seemed to fit the layout. The hole for the business cards was routed with a 30 degree bit.

5. Really creative design Keith! Of course, John's work is top shelf for sure.......I just visited his website the other day, and was admiring his skills and creativity. You know, he used to show up a little more than he does now, but every once in a while we get a glimpse of him coming up out of his lair. He's always been a great friend and resource to creekers on the spinny side of the creek.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Keith, the card holder design came together well and the choice of Corian is perfect. I am glad to have been a small part of the gift. There are certainly many great turners on SMC that could have easily done as well, but I am honored to have been asked.

Roger, thanks for the kind words.

Left click my name for homepage link.

A very nice collaboration which I am sure is appreciated! Well done to both involved!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John is to modest, his work on this project is not a small part as anyone can see, and it made this one very special. My daughter is the System Director of Clinical Pharmacy Services for the Riverside Health System which means that this card holder will be seen by a large number of influential people, it had to be something I knew she would be proud to display.

I have been following John's work here for a long time and I knew he could take a basic picture and make something that was perfect.

Very nice collaboration. John is a true artist and is always willing to advise/assist other turners. As a side note, he’s a wonderful woodworker, but even a better person. Keith, I’m certain your daughter will proudly tell people that you made this for her.