Thread: Finishing room nearing completion

Blog Entries

Finishing room nearing completion

If you saw my post about the 60x60 workshop, I am nearing completion of the finishing room. I made this with spraying in mind. The fan is awaiting an explosion proof motor, which is stuck in customs. There will be wall cabinets along the left wall and a rolling table under those. Lighting is LED. The walls are 3/4” treated ply, which I got for $17.50 a sheet, and it was cheaper than wallboard. If anyone tries to break in through the sheetmetal outer walls, they are going to have to get through 3/4” ply screwed into studs that are screwed into the steel beams.

The fan may or may not provide enough CFM’s. It was in the previous spray room from the prior tenant, but that room was far from engineered. I stepped up the rpm’s and will experiment with this fan before spending more $$$. I know how to properly size a fan if CFM’s are known, but they are not known for this fan. It was free, except the new motor was another $300 landed cost.

Entry will be two glass double doors that I had on hand. That lets the light from this room provide light into the shop as well- utilizes energy spent for lighting as well as possible. Also the exhaust fan will help draw air through the shop. There will be multiple filters on the opposite wall.

Room is 10x20 with 9’ ceiling. There will be hooks in the ceiling for hanging parts for spraying. First job will be my Harley fenders and tank. Mostly, however, this room will see hand finishing and some spraying of cabinets. Most sprayed finishes will be water based, but I wanted to be safe and sprung for the explosion proof motor.

6FCC0409-743D-4B1B-BDDE-2C6A268D5727.jpg

That's going to be an awesome finishing room, Malcolm. I'm more than a little jealous. So how do you plan to keep paint, etc. off the walls? The plastic sides of my temporary spray booth get snotted up with whatever I'm spraying. When they get hideous I just throw it away and hang new stuff. What's your plan?

John

Sure will be a nice area to finish in

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That's going to be an awesome finishing room, Malcolm. I'm more than a little jealous. So how do you plan to keep paint, etc. off the walls? The plastic sides of my temporary spray booth get snotted up with whatever I'm spraying. When they get hideous I just throw it away and hang new stuff. What's your plan?

John
    Just scrape it off and keep going. Since it’s going to be a whole lot more hand finishing than spraying, it won’t get a lot of buildup. The room was also made so you can spray it down, mainly for dust elimination. There is going to be a 42” laundry sink on that back wall with a hose bib. The floor has drains.

Hung the doors and installed two of the planned six filters.
    877A8B91-2FB0-4AE2-9574-E75A708ECABB.jpg

Google "spray booth wall coating", and there are a bunch of them. It's pretty expensive, but lasts a long time, and many jobs, before you feel like it needs to be peeled off. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/DeVilbiss-DEV.../dp/B00NAUOTWM

Very nice Malcolm. Kind of beats my large cardboard box in the basement with fans and open window

Blog Entries
    Got the motor for the fan- FINALLY!!! One is still floating around in another dimension somewhere in the land of lost packages, so I bought another. Here is what an explosion proof motor looks like. Basically it’s a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) motor with a metal protective cover over the junction box.
    331834BC-F8A7-45AA-95D8-BC7E4558AF15.jpg D35B9D4B-2804-4CF6-9532-21F7EBF7A0B1.jpg

It was a perfect fit for the fan- same bolt pattern and shaft as the old motor.
    1302180F-71BA-4976-A8DC-BB66CB144677.jpg

I need 8,000 CFM, so I doubled the speed of the original motor but I doubt I am getting 8k out of this fan. That said, I doubt I want more than I have. Currently the door has considerable suction when you try to open it, and a rush of air comes in when you do. With doors shut, the air through the filters is nicely diffused and still noticeable but not “windy” feeling. It very rapidly evacuated some smelly varnish fumes in a non-scientific test. I will soon be spraying my Harley and will let ya know how that goes.

The doors were sprayed by the prior owner, but I will be cleaning them up. They are actually clear glass. I may or may not add two more filters after I try the booth for a bit.

470365B1-466F-4C0A-A933-7B167EDFCDDE.jpg

Blog Entries
    *forgot to add that the light switch is outside the booth, and only the fan switch is in the booth, which I even am considering changing to the switch being outside as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    *forgot to add that the light switch is outside the booth, and only the fan switch is in the booth, which I even am considering changing to the switch being outside as well.
    that would be a good idea