Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have a Shaper Origin?

1. Thanks for posting your actually experience, it really helps a lot. Usually it's just people spouting opinions based on other people spouting their opinions.

On the Shaper forums there are plenty of examples along with the files and instructions if you want to see more examples.

Thanks for the in-depth review and experience, Rob, greatly apprecieated. My first foray at Fusion 360 was not positive as it's a completely different beast than SketchUp, which I'm fairly proficient at. The book and on-line tutorials I tried also had inconsistencies with the version of Fusion 360 I downloaded, which added to my frustration. If you are saying may things can be done directly through the SO screen that should help a lot. However, one of the things I would want to do is produce parts for the horizontal router mortise that I now produce using jigs, and for that I will need to feed the SO files. So at some point I'd have to make the leap to Fusion 360 or another software to generate those files, or pay SO to do it, which goes against my independent and frugal nature.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks for the in-depth review and experience, Rob, greatly apprecieated. My first foray at Fusion 360 was not positive as it's a completely different beast than SketchUp, which I'm fairly proficient at. The book and on-line tutorials I tried also had inconsistencies with the version of Fusion 360 I downloaded, which added to my frustration. If you are saying may things can be done directly through the SO screen that should help a lot. However, one of the things I would want to do is produce parts for the horizontal router mortise that I now produce using jigs, and for that I will need to feed the SO files. So at some point I'd have to make the leap to Fusion 360 or another software to generate those files, or pay SO to do it, which goes against my independent and frugal nature.

John
    Yeah, the fine folks at Autodesk like to mess with the user interface so tutorials get broken...

SketchUp should work so long as you can export an SVG file. It has been years since I've used SketchUp but I believe there is a plugin that can do this.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

I have one , just recently purchased it to see if it really works
    https://youtu.be/HHYpeKOYy3w
    https://youtu.be/ngLAY7P-N64

Its OK but i don't care for the domino ID tape required for the shaper orgin to know where it is
    Uses: because its portable you could use it in the field ie engrave something round , like a barrel which would not fit a cnc machine
    Engrave the end of a baseball bat, or axe handle
    Its is amazing how fast the x and y axis respond
    with made templates one could do dovetails or mortise/tenon joints
    It will only work on single line svg files, will not engrave between 2 line , like a swiss font, it will double engrave
    So it is ok when i draw something up as i am drawing a single line so it will cut or engrave just fine
    Its a festool product lots of utubes lots of live demos much like apple

Quote Originally Posted by stan kern View Post
    I have one , just recently purchased it to see if it really works
    https://youtu.be/HHYpeKOYy3w
    https://youtu.be/ngLAY7P-N64

Its OK but i don't care for the domino ID tape required for the shaper orgin to know where it is
    Uses: because its portable you could use it in the field ie engrave something round , like a barrel which would not fit a cnc machine
    Engrave the end of a baseball bat, or axe handle
    Its is amazing how fast the x and y axis respond
    with made templates one could do dovetails or mortise/tenon joints
    It will only work on single line svg files, will not engrave between 2 line , like a swiss font, it will double engrave
    So it is ok when i draw something up as i am drawing a single line so it will cut or engrave just fine
    Its a festool product lots of utubes lots of live demos much like apple

Thanks for the review Stan. You have given me better idea of the capabilities.
    David

portable cnc

there is also a portable cnc called goliath
    its in the testing acceptance right now and its also interesting but they all have to have this boundary to work inside
    to me its something like a battery operated tape recorder ,you are always buying batteries
    My regularcnc machine needs nothing to run it as when you live rural you cannot just go downtown
    and pick up a part to be able to run the cnc , like in the orgin sharper, you run out of tape
    the machine does not run
    But its amazing what people are designing
    Attached Images Attached Images

(about to go against my sig line here) :

ShaperOrigin is not owned by Festool. However both companies are owned by TTS Tooltechnic Systems. Festool does make the router motor which may be a source of confusion.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.