Thread: 45 deg elbow that uses PEX clinch rings

45 deg elbow that uses PEX clinch rings

Is there an online seller of PEX pipe fittings that sells a 45 degree elbow that takes clinch rings? I'd like such fittings for 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch diameter pipes.

I can find 45 degree elbows using the Sharkbite push-connect system. I can find such elbows for the Uphonor expander ring system. - but no luck when it comes to a 45 for clinch rings, even at pexuniverse.

I know Zurn makes such a fitting, and that Grainger is a Zurn distributor. Who knows if they'll show them on their website, but a quick call may solve your problem.

I called Zurn and their technical support for PEX said they don't make 45 degree elbows.

45 degree elbows are not a common item for a flexible tubing system like PEX. I installed pex in the old farm house we had and used a few. (around 2004 and 5) What I installed took the crimp rings. IIRC I got them from a local Lowes. (A buddy of mine has a water damage clean up repair company and he says shark bites keep him in business. So many leaks turn catastrophic. ) Never had a leak with the pex crimp system. Even put radiant heat under the first floor. And used PEX to connect the hot water radiators to the heating system.

Its called a heat gun if it needs to be tight. Why in the heck would you want two leak paths when you can run pex like wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Its called a heat gun if it needs to be tight.
    The would be ok for type A PEX, but in my location, the commonly available PEX is type B.

Could you use a copper 45, with two sweat in PEX adapters?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Could you use a copper 45, with two sweat in PEX adapters?
    That's a good idea, honestly.

Were it me, I'd just use a SharkBite 45º and be done with it...I've had zero issues with that system, but I do appreciate that many don't prefer them. A lot of the issues with that system seem to revolve around folks not fully seating things, a mistake I made a few times at first myself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    The would be ok for type A PEX, but in my location, the commonly available PEX is type B.
    There's no reason you can't warm PEX B just like you can PEX A to get it to make a tighter bend than it wants to at room temperature. The only difference with PEX B is if you do kink it you're sunk. But you could still warm PEX B tremendously and get it to make a very tight Bend and then let it cool just don't kink it.

My local Lowe's has them

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    There's no reason you can't warm PEX B just like you can PEX A to get it to make a tighter bend .
    I agree that warming PEX B makes it more pliable, but I haven't found any manufacturer's literature that recommends doing it with a heat gun. Is there information about what temperature to use? What I'd call a gentle warming (e.g. putting it in a warm room) doesn't help much in bending PEX B or straightening out PEX B that comes in a coil. How hot can we get the pipe without degrading it?

I find that a heat gun is useful is in removing PEX from brass fittings, but after that is done, the tip of the PEX pipe can be cut off before attaching a new fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike Nihiser View Post
    My local Lowe's has them
    Are you talking about 45 degree elbows for PEX that are for clench rings? - or about 45 degree elbows for PEX that are press-on fittings? My local Lowes has 45 degree elbows that are Sharkbite press-on fittings. My question is about fittings for clench rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I agree that warming PEX B makes it more pliable, but I haven't found any manufacturer's literature that recommends doing it with a heat gun. Is there information about what temperature to use? What I'd call a gentle warming (e.g. putting it in a warm room) doesn't help much in bending PEX B or straightening out PEX B that comes in a coil. How hot can we get the pipe without degrading it?

I find that a heat gun is useful is in removing PEX from brass fittings, but after that is done, the tip of the PEX pipe can be cut off before attaching a new fitting.
    Pex is rated at 200 degrees water temp so that would be a starting point. Well beyond a warm room. There is not really an issue with degrading the pexB not that you couldnt cook it to death for sure, its just that it doesnt self heal/memory with heat like PEX A. At 200 degrees your not going to be touching it. I suppose if your really concerned and infrared thermometer would let you get it pretty warm. Ive honestly never once had a concern with heating pex with a heat gun and even a propane torch moving quickly when we have had to get it into some tight spots or I wanted to establish a nice decent bend without loading either leg heavily by just forcing it to the bend cold.

Good to be cautious but very easy to get stuck overthinking. Just put on a pair of gloves and get it good and warm and go on. You'll be fine.

It seems odd that you'd need a 45 degree elbow with pex. The flexibility of the stuff gives quite a lot of variance in planning the layouts. Maybe back up a step or two and fix whatever is forcing that type of fitting.